Yoga Love

DSC_0116.JPG

So something exciting has been happening that I haven’t shared yet because I wanted to make sure it worked out first. For the last two weeks I’ve been working at the local hot yoga studio in exchange for unlimited yoga!

I work four hours per week and I get to do as much yoga as I want. So far I’ve been going to yoga about 3-4 times per week.

I love it!

I spend a few hours one night per week working on social media/newsletter/computer stuff for them while also manning the front desk. And then to get the rest of my hours in I come in 30 minutes early here and there to fold towels and I will stay after to help clean bathrooms and mop the floor if I attend the last class of the day. It’s incredibly flexible and laidback, which is perfect for me.

And, since I can devote even more time to my yoga practice each week, I am falling even more in love with it. The owner of the studio recently returned from Moksha training and there are now a lot more Moksha classes on the schedule, which I much prefer to Traditional Hot Yoga (a.k.a. Bikram). The studio offers Moksha, Traditional Hot Yoga and, occasionally, Power Flow/Ashtanga classes. I love the variety!

You know what else I love?

Savasana!

Savasana or “corpse pose” is the pose that you end your yoga practice with. It is basically just lying on your back in a comfortable position with your arms and legs spread wide. Images here.

I used to HATE savasana. I could not focus and I wanted out of the room asap. Lately, with my increased yoga practice, I’ve found myself lying in savasana for 10-15 minutes at a time. Just relaxing and focusing on my breathing. It is the most amazing feeling.

I’m so excited that I was given this opportunity to do more yoga without spending more money. Yoga, especially hot yoga, is expensive and I never would have been able to afford to do it as often as I am now if it wasn’t for this amazing opportunity at a fabulous studio!

Do you practice yoga? If so, what kind? Do you enjoy lying in Savasana at the end of the class or hate it?

This is awesome for you! And I have to admit I’m a little bit jealous! I LOVE Savasana at the end of the class – I almost always fall asleep!

2. J says:

That sounds like the perfect situation to allow you to do MORE yoga! SO lucky!

3. I have never really gotten into yoga… I did Fitness Yoga at the Y when I was training for my 1/2 last year but if I am honest, I kind of hated it… But I kept going, thinking eventually I would come to like it… Not so much. I would like to try one of the local yoga studios but the price prohibits me from doing so unfortunately. I am so glad you landed this part time job so you can do all the yoga you want for free! Such a great deal for you!!!

4. Kathleen says:

I think yoga is one of those things that the more you do it, the more you love it. I used to do it a lot and was kind of obsessed, but then I couldn’t afford it anymore and haven’t done it in awhile. I could do it at home, but that’s a lot harder for a novice like me. Anyway, you’re very blessed to have that situation!

5. Emily Jane says:

Hot yoga is AMAZING, I tried it for a month in the summer when it was at the intro rate and I felt incredible and in way less pain than usual. Then the cost skyrocketed so I haven’t been back… 🙁

I am so happy for you, what an amazing oportunity!

That’s such an awesome deal for you! I have always loved Savasana. It’s amazing. I’m kind of jealous that in your classes you get to stay there as long as you want.. although, if I had that opportunity I probably would never move again.

7. I adore hot yoga! I have an ankle injury that’s keeping me from doing a lot of poses right now but I can’t wait to get back into yoga. It’s so relaxing and refreshing!

8. I practice and love a few different forms of yoga – Hot Power, Hatha, Yin … Yin was a huge surprise to me (it’s one where you hold a pose for 3-5 minutes) and I was shocked to find that my butterfly mind could love it.

I bought an unlimited package over the summer months, and really cut down on other forms of exercise, instead going to yoga 4-5 times a week. I did lose some cardio endurance, but I got a lot stronger and my abs and quads got a lot more defined. I was also a lot more relaxed all the time. I am going back to unlimited in December.

This work-for-yoga thing sounds like a great exchange!

I’ve only been to a couple yoga classes and have enjoyed them. If I could afford it, I would love to do it more often! That’s a fun deal that you work a couple hours for them and get to take the yoga classes for free. How did you approach the owner with the idea?

• MissAmber says:

They actually sent out their monthly newsletter and in the newsletter it said that they realized yoga was $$ and if anyone wanted to do a work-for-yoga arrangement to email them. I emailed them back right away (apparently they had an overwhelming response!) so they agreed.

If you have a yoga studio that you’ve tried and you kind of know the owner I say email them and ask if you could do something like that too. It’s such a great opportunity and, honestly, four hours per week is NOTHING. Especially when I arrange it around the times I’m already going to class!

10. Lo says:

That is awesome Amber! Congrats on the awesome swap. I can’t wait to hear more. What type of social media stuff are you doing for them?

• MissAmber says:

Hey girl! I am helping them with their Facebook page and creating their newsletter for them right now! Might start doing some YouTube and Twitter stuff in the future.

11. Ali says:

Our local hot yoga studio does this as well, it’s a great way to give back and do yoga.

I love Savasana at the end of class, I could lie there forever, but i struggle with it at the beginning, twitchy and want the class to start.

That’s such a great deal you’ve worked out! I would love to start taking yoga, but the studio prices are kind of expensive for my budget right now. Maybe later next year! I’ve done yoga on DVD’s before, but I think being in class would be such a better experience!

13. Jess says:

What an awesome idea! I’m glad the studio owner was willing to work that out with you! And four hours per weeks isn’t all that much in exchange for totally free yoga!

I try to force myself to do yoga because I’m a runner and I need to do it, but I don’t love it. It’s a chore for me…

• MissAmber says:

I used to really dislike yoga too. But Hot Yoga has been a totally different experience for me! Each to their own, though 🙂

15. Sarah says:

Well done Amber on finding an EXCELLENT solution to fund your love of yoga!! I think it’s really great.

I’m a beginner yogi, so I haven’t tried different types yet, but I love, love, LOVE Savasana at the end of a yoga workout. I love the relaxation and letting go of everything.

16. That’s awesome, Amber! I know jenna from eat, live, run does that as well. Such a great way to get free yoga (which is sooo expensive!). I’ve been telling myself I need to make more time for yoga.

17. Thats a pretty sweet deal!! Awesome! 🙂

18. Lindsay says:

I used to hate shavasana too/yoga in general. I do a DVD though, not class. I used to get distracted by house-work that needs to be done but now I am better about focusing and relaxing.

19. mandy says:

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you Amber. I’m glad that things are working out for both parties. What a great deal.

Yay for you! 🙂 That’s a great way to get free yoga! My yoga studio offers this too, but I get nervous about committing to any more than I already do so I’ve never done it, but considered it several times. I love the idea of doing social media stuff for them but unfortunately my place already has a great website, twitter and facebook- I should’ve suggested doing this stuff for them back when they were new. Oh well 🙂

21. 1. I think this is awesome and I love barter/trades!
    2. I think you are a little nuts because you already have like ten jobs…hehehe!

22. Lauren says:

I love doing yoga. I usually do the classes at my university’s gym – power or vinyasa flow, but I’m going to hot yoga tomorrow for the first time. I hear it’s intense and that I should bring a towel or 5, but I’m really excited for it!

I love savasana, and I have been able to enjoy it more with time. I love just breathing or repeating a mantra in my head. One of the yoga teachers at school adjusts our shoulders and foreheads to relax us more and uses a lavender oil or lotion on her hand.

23. That is such an amazing idea! I would definitely be taking advantage of that opportunity if I had it.

24. I have actually never tried yoga before!

You are a yoga queen!!! Sounds amazing!

26. sunny says:

As a slightly overweight, weaker beginner of yoga, I can honestly say that I LOVE the corpse pose at the end. It makes me feel awesome after such a hard workout (even though it is a gentle class haha) but I love it. It takes away all of the stress and I dont feel twitchy or like I want to get up at all.

27. Wow, that’s so cool! I’m a little jealous. I did some Hot Yoga this year for about a couple months back in the early summer and loved it, but couldn’t afford it. That would be sweet to get free yoga in exchange for a little bit of work.

28. Jessica says:

I just did yoga for the first time on Monday and I was SO excited to tell you since I know you love it. My work is offering it twice a week, so I’m going to go. It was def. harder than I thought, but it was very cool! A different kind of workout for sure!

29. […] started working at the hot yoga studio in exchange for free […]

30. […] 1 I just finished). Probably more than I should have. Plus a bunch of social events this week plus working at the yoga studio. Every day this week I have been busy-busy-busy from 8:00 Am to 10:00 or 11:00 […]

31. […] am working five days per week for the next four months to cover for a co-worker on holidays plus working at the yoga studio plus freelancing. Why aren’t there more hours in a […]

32. […] got to the studio early this day to do some cleaning (I trade work for yoga at my studio!) and the instructor came in early as well. She was all, “what do you feel like doing […]