Portland Marathon Roadtrip: Vancouver

I was up bright and early this morning to make the trip from Kamloops to Vancouver. I love driving through the mountains in the fall.

DSC_0004.JPG

Look who I found at the airport:

DSC_0007.JPG

After getting slightly lost and driving around the block a few times we finally got settled into our hotel and then decided to walk across the bridge to Granville Island.

It was a gorgeous day in Vancouver!

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

We did some exploring at the Granville Public Market and then sat down outside and visited over a couple of chai lattes.

DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

It was like catching up with an OLD friend. After planning this trip for over a year and exchanging around 5,000 emails she IS an old friend!

We then meandered back over the bridge and walked around Yaletown.

DSC_0027.JPG

We are trying not to walk too much so we are taking frequent breaks at coffee shops to give our legs a rest. There’s just so much we want to see!

Then tonight Liane picked us up and took us to Vij’s for dinner. Even though we got there only 15 minutes after it opened we still had to wait 1.5 hours for a table.

So we went to Purdy’s chocolates and had some hedgehogs:

DSC_0030.JPG

And then ate the most delicious Indian food EVER!

DSC_0033.JPG

And then the girls took me somewhere I’ve never been before:

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

I was in awe, obviously, but did not buy anything! Maybe next time.

When we get to the States Lisa is going to take me to Trader Joe’s, Target and Chipotle: SO EXCITED!

Tomorrow morning we are going for a run through Stanley Park and along the ocean and then going to see the Olympic torches and do some shopping. In the evening, we’re meeting up with 7 other blogger/twitter-ers for dinner!

Day 1 of our trip was complete and was great. I can’t believe that we’re running a marathon in 4 sleeps. It’s sneaking up so fast!

See you tomorrow with another update 🙂

1. H-woman says:

Road trip!! Wheeeeeee! And really, is there a better place to start than in Fun-couver?

=)

2. Sam says:

How fun! I’m excited for you that you’re going to experience Chipotle. Best food ever!

3. Caz says:

hehe I always make it to Whole Foods when I’m in Vancouver! I love their salad bar.
    I’ve never been to Vij’s (the wait intimidates me) but I’ve heard it’s amazing. So glad you’re enjoying all my favourite parts of my favourite city, I just wish I could be there too!

4. Marianne says:

Sounds like you had a great day in the awesome fall weather we had here today. I was just at Vij’s last weekend, but fortunately we made it into the first seating. What did you all have? And you have reminded me I need to stop in at Whole Food tomorrow.

Looking forward to the meet up tomorrow night!

• MissAmber says:

We had the halibut and prawns, a couple of delicious appies (the portobello mushroom one) and the seasonal vegetables: so good! See you tonight 🙂

Sounds like SUCH a fun day! I love how excited you are to go to places like Chipotle and Target, places I seem to go weekly! (Well, Target at least. I’m not sold on Chipotle. Don’t shoot!) Have fun!

6. How fantastic! totally jealous you get to hang out with Lisa that much. No whole foods in Kamloops? dude. enjoy.

7. Kyla Roma says:

Aw this sounds like so much fun! I love that we get to follow along, I thought that we were going to be getting one big update after the race – this is way better! 🙂

8. nicole says:

wooot! target rocks my socks!!! have fun!

9. abbi says:

What fun! Chipotle and Trader Joe’s – two of my faves! Keep having fun!

10. erin says:

I’m so the odd one out. I much prefer moe’s – only because they cook all the veggies separately (peppers, onions and mushrooms!) i hate onions!

good LUCK! you are going to do amazing!!

11. Emily Jane says:

I love this update!! And YAY for Indian food… that was the highlight of my UK trip in the summer 🙂

12. mandy says:

My heart literally soared seeing the picture of you two together. I love celebrating friendships like that, and you’re exactly right, meeting Lisa for the first time was exactly like meeting an old friend. Beyond excited for the two of you. Are hedgehogs just chocolate or do they have stuff in them, regardless, love their name. Have a great day today!

AHHH! Jealous. Wish I could be there, but you already knew that. I’m so glad you went to Whole Foods! Be sure to check out their super comfy, super natural t-shirts (I hope they have them there). They are amazing. Ask lisa, she knows 😉

Enjoy Target, Chipotle & Trader Joe’s. Those are three of my favorite places in the world. And you two are two of my favorite girls in the world.

Thanks for the update and the photos!
    And send a hedgehog please!? 😉

Looks like you girls are having so much fun! Jealous of your Target trip! 🙂

15. J says:

Sounds fun!! Enjoy target! I love that store!

16. BostonRunner says:

YAYYYY! So exciting! I’m going to be thinking about you all day Sunday. Seriously.

LOVE Road Trips!! Fun times. Vancouver is a way cool city. It’s been ages since I’ve been up there. It was much easier to make a day trip out of it when I lived in Seattle. Now it would be a long weekend affair.

18. inkpuddle says:

I had to giggle when I saw you were excited about Target and Trader Joe’s – not sure I could live without either one them! Chipotle, meh, not as exciting … but take away my Target and TJ’s and it is ON. 🙂

19. Sounds like you’re having an amazing trip!!! And I’ve no doubt you’ll rock your full marathon!!!!!!!!! Go you!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

As far as Vij’s. I was just there with Marianne and wrote a detailed review this week. I thought it was very good but severely over-hyped. Having said that, I’ll give it another go.

Enjoy your vacation!

20. Aw, fun! Vancouver looks like such a pretty place! A bunch of my Eugene running group peeps are running the Victoria Marathon this Sunday. Can’t believe it’s almost here. See you girls soon!

Ahhh! So jealous you get all this time to hang out with Lisa! Um, and you’ve never been to a Target? You are in for quite a treat! 🙂

22. Becks says:

Love, love, love both Capers and Granville Island!

23. Heather C says:

You’ll be JUST as pleased with Trader Joe’s & target (maybe my two favorite places, EVER 😉 ….I hope!!

Enjoy the relaxing/touristy day tomorrow!!

24. shoshanah says:

I’m so excited that you two finally got to meet each other! Although maybe a tiny bit jealous too. But what I’m not jealous of is that you just went to Whole Foods for the first time! I try not to really shop there, but I’m normally there for lunch every other week or so. But anyways, I just wanted to say that I hope you guys are having a blast!

25. Laura says:

Trader Joes, Target and Chipotle…I love it! I literally went to all three (and only those three) places last night!

26. Have fun ladies and say hi to Vancouver for me…awesome honeymoon spot <3

27. Abby says:

Fun! That’s my sister!!! 😉

Vancouver looks incrediblely gorgeous!

I am so glad to hear you guys are enjoying yourselves!!!! Just a few more days till the big race!

Have a safe trip to Portland!

28. Make sure to buy yourself some post-race treats at Trader Joe’s … I’m thinking something along the lines of peanut butter filled pretzels would be perfect!!!!

29. It sounds like you are having a fab time!!! Enjoy the long weekend!!

30. Lo says:

Aww! How much fun! Yall are too cute!! Best of luck in the marathon!

31. Anais says:

So fun!!! I miss Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods… I write them so often to ask them to bring a store to Ottawa lol 🙂

32. Chanel says:

Oh…. I would LOVE to visit Vancouver sometime soon. I adore that city so much…which is odd because I’ve never been there. Did you get some Chipotle????? I’m addicted

33. […] first big blogger meet-up was last October when I picked Lisa up from the airport to go on a 5-day roadtrip and run a marathon together. Lisa and I had never even spoken to each […]