Portland Marathon Roadtrip: The Marathon + Portland

First, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who was thinking of me this morning and who tracked me through the website I linked to yesterday! When I logged onto Twitter and Facebook after the marathon and saw so many posts and messages I became overwhelmed with emotion.

I could not have done this without your support. I thought about you a lot during those 5 hours.

Most of you probably already know this but I did it! I ran my marathon.

I finished with a chip time of 4:45:22. I’m happy with this considering that it poured rain the entire time and at mile 24 I injured my foot.

Here’s a quick recap of the marathon by numbers:

• 26.2 miles, 42.2 km ran BUT according to the Garmin it was 26.44 miles
  • 2 miles – the mile where I dropped back from Lisa
  • 8 miles – the mile where I put my iPod in
  • 10 miles – the amount of miles that flew by
  • 12 miles – the mile where I hit a wall
  • 16.5 miles – the mile with a huge hill
  • 24 miles – the mile where I injured my foot
  • 25.5 miles – the mile where I started running again and forced myself to run the last 1/2 mile

Here are pictures of me and Lisa in our hotel this morning before the race. Lisa did AMAZING by the way, check out her blog to read about it!

DSC_0213.JPG DSC_0215.JPG

I didn’t take my camera along with me for the race because it was seriously POURING rain outside so this is the only photo I have from that morning. Hopefully the race photographers got some of me!

After the marathon we hobbled back to the hotel – seriously the walk that had taken us 10 minutes this morning took closer to 20 and had showers. I sat in a cold water bath but I was too lazy to go down to the lobby and get ice. My foot is still really bothering me and I’ve been limping around all day.

After showering and stuffing our faces at Chipotle (seriously, love that place!) we visited Powell’s Books:

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

This bookstore is HUGE – four city blocks! Lisa and I were kind of in heaven.

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG DSC_0220.JPG

And what section of the store do you think this crazy runner found herself in?

DSC_0222.JPG

I bought three books!

DSC_0224.JPG

Then we went to Lulu Lemon and treated ourselves to some new workout clothing. We deserved it!

I got some Lulu Lemon Groovy Run Shorts:

Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 6.05.15 PM.png

We’re about to head out for some dinner and WINE! Neither of us have drank in a few weeks so we figure we deserve a glass of wine. Or two!

Bright and early tomorrow morning I’m taking Lisa to the airport and picking my Dad up! He flew down to drive this sore marathoner back home 🙂 We are staying in Seattle tomorrow night!

I am so sad our trip is already over.

In case you missed it, catch up on these posts about our epic roadtrip:

And don’t forget to enter my Born to Run Giveaway that ends tomorrow.

Thank you again for all your support the last several months, it means so much! See you on Tuesday with a full race report 🙂

1. Laura says:

CONGRATS!! So happy for you.

SO PROUD OF YOU TWO!!! 🙂 When I was tracking the website this morning I saw times for certain boxes and then nothing showed up for one of them yet (must have been where your hurt your foot) and I said out loud, “oh, Amber I hope you didn’t get hurt. Keep going, you can do it!!!” (And then Ben looked at me like I was crazy).

Books and wine (ooh Love Walked In!) sound a perfect way to end the trip!

3. Jill says:

Congrats! That’s an amazing achievement!

4. abbi says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Congratulations marathoner! I thought of you and Lisa this afternoon and logged on to see your results. You both did amazing! I can’t imagine having rain the whole time. Rest up and enjoy your accomplishment! Congrats!! 🙂

congratulations!!! and enjoy your remaining time in Seattle

6. Jaime Runs says:

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you! How did you injure your foot and was it the St. John’s Bridge?

I love Powell’s Books. It’s a heaven! Unfortunately, my office is blocks away so it’s soooo tempting to spend my lunch hours there.

8. WooHoo! You Did It! Great job, and with an awesome time! I saw totally grinning ear to ear reading your post. I’m so excited for you!

9. Carol says:

Congrats again! When you ran the Vancouver Half, I ran the marathon – my first. I did not train like you did and it showed. But John Stanton (of the Running Room) was there and asked when my next one would be. I told him he was crazy…I’m running my third in 7 sleeps!
    So…my question to you is…when is your next one?!

🙂

10. Congrats on finishing! I hope your foot is okay though, maybe you should have it looked at.

11. AMBER! You’re such a rock star! Congratulations! You’re amazing!

Congrats! I was wondering how you did all day! Way to go! Hope the foot heals up quick for you 🙂

13. Congratulations!!!!! I am so proud of you!!!! I am sorry to hear about your foot and how sweet of your dad to fly down to help you get home!! 😉

14. So proud of you! Sorry the conditions were less than ideal – but you finished strong! You’re a marathoner now – that’s forever!!! Can’t wait to read your rave recap!
    Congratulations girl!

15. Congrats! I love Powells. I did a post about it back in June, absolute heaven.

16. Amazing job Amber!! Just amazing!

17. Kathleen says:

Way to go, Amber!!!

18. Becks says:

Yay! So proud of you, really! That’s awesome and a sweet way to celebrate Thanksgiving.

19. J says:

Congrats on the marathon!! You did so well!

20. Jess says:

I can’t wait for your full report! I’m so proud of you Amber! And I can’t believe it rained the whole time! That’s miserable! I hope your foot isn’t hurt too badly and that you enjoy the last bits of your trip!

21. Congrats on a great accomplishment, Amber! Running in the rain isn’t easy or fun (well, not for long distances, anyway). And that’s so great you pushed through some road blocks along the way. Hope your foot is feeling better and that you were able to enjoy your night out in Portland!

22. BostonRunner says:

Congrats Amber!! You’re officially a marathoner! I’m so proud of you, especially running through rain, injury and hills! Have a great time with your dad and enjoy your marathon high!

23. AshleyD says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait for the full race report tomorrow. You’re so awesome.

I’m so proud of you- you did AWESOME 🙂 I hope your foot starts to feel better and you have a good trip back! Can’t wait to see the full race recap!

25. mandy says:

Congratulations, Amber. So, so proud of you! You are amazing. Awesome job on your first marathon!

So proud of you! I hope the foot gets better soon but for now, enjoy your HUGE accomplishment =) xoxox

You are so awesome! I am so happy for both of you. Great job! Keep resting that foot though.

28. Emily Jane says:

Huge congratulations!! I am so proud of you girls! I love that you spent a bunch of time in a giant bookstore – exactly what we did on my blogger meetup too 🙂

Way to go! 🙂

29. Morgan says:

YOU DID IT!!! YAY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 4:45!!! WOOT!!!!!

Ok now what happened to your foot? Are you ok?

• MissAmber says:

Ugh – not really. It’s still super painful to walk on and I’m hobbling around like crazy. Going for x-rays on Wednesday….

At least it didn’t strike until the END of the marathon, right!?! :S

30. Abby says:

I am very proud of you 2!!! You finished an incredible accomplishment yesterday! 🙂

I hope your foot feels better soooon!

And MAJOR props to you for pushing through that last miles despite your injury!! That’s a dedicated marathoner! 🙂

Hope your able to get some R & R this week!!!

Amazing, amazing job! I couldn’t imagine having to run this in the rain AND injured. Impressive. Congrats!

32. ens says:

awesome – congrats, girl!

33. You are a star girl!!!!! I am proud of you 🙂

Those are super cute shorts BTW.

34. Cecilia says:

You’re darn right you earned the new work out clothes!! Congrats on the finish. Hope the foot doesn’t give you too much trouble.

35. Great job, now you have start planning for the next one 😉

36. Heather C says:

Congrats Amber!!!! I hope the foot starts feeling better soon – but, hey, you are A MARATHONER! 🙂 How good does that feel?!!

Oh, AND, how amazing are the lulu running shorts? 😉

Congrats girl!!!

you killed it out there!!!!

Way to go marathoner!!!

I need to get me some lulu apparel STAT! 🙂

38. shoshanah says:

I can’t believe you had to run in the rain almost your entire marathon. But I’m glad to hear even though it was raining and you hurt your foot that you made it through! And I’m hoping you foot get back to normal soon

39. Carissa says:

congrats Amber!! what a HUGE accomplishment! you totally deserved that wine, and those shorts! 🙂

hope your foot starts feeling better!

40. debbie says:

Congratulations!!! I’m so inspired by how well you did. And making it a road trip probably made the whole experience even more memorable.

You definitely earned a few glasses of wine!

41. Laura says:

Congratulations on such an awesome finish time! Powell’s book store was about the only sight we managed to see when we visited Portland last month. What a great place!

42. […] I met Lisa and spent five days traveling 300 miles with her […]