Race Report: Dirty Feet 10K Trail Race

In case you missed it this weekend:

****************

On Sunday I ran my third race of 2010. The Dirty Feet 10K Trail Race here in Kamloops.

I didn’t have overly high expectations for this race. I had just ran 12 miles the day before and I was exactly two weeks out from the marathon. My #1 goal was to HAVE FUN!

Eric snapped this picture of me before the race.

DSC_0241.JPG DSC_0244.JPG

That headband I am wearing is one that came in the race swag bag and can I just say how amazing it is? I have a lulu lemon headband that is constantly sliding off and this headband didn’t move ONCE the entire race. Love!

The race took place in Kenna Cartwright Park, one of my favourite places to run trails! I drove to my friend Carly’s and then we walked to the race start together. She lived about 1/4 – 1/2 mile from the start.

Warning: All pics to follow are crappy blackberry pics. Please excuse the photo quality!

IMG00115.jpg IMG00116.jpg

Me and Carly used to run trails together all the time last summer but we didn’t get to run together much this summer. It was fun to go to the race start with her but I was doing the 10K and she was doing the 5K so that was the last I saw of her until the end!

IMG00117.jpg

The run started out on a familiar path that I had run lots and for the first 1.5 miles or so we were on a little single-track path so there was a line of about 10 people running single file. I put one headphone in and just kind of lost myself in the running.

Mile 1 – 10:37

Mile 2 – 11:52

Then we got onto a wider double-track path and our group kind of split up. I was around the same 3-4 people the entire race though.

The views were amazing, you don’t see stuff like this when you’re running on the road!

IMG00118.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

I kind of slowed off to take a couple of pictures and enjoy myself from miles 2-3 and then decided to pick it up. I had packed a GU in my fitness belt since I ate breakfast at 7:00 AM that morning (the race didn’t start until 9:00 AM) and I’m sure glad I did! I was starving.

I was ripping on it for about a mile, I passed about 4 people and was closing in on a girl that looked to be in my age group. I was thinking, let’s go, let’s get past her. We were running on a single-track trail that was weaving back and forth with lots of little dips and switchbacks. It was SO FUN.

I was closing in to pass this girl when I felt it.

The slightest twinge/pull in my left groin. It couldn’t have lasted more then 5 seconds and then this little voice popped up in the back of my head and said: You have bigger goals than this Amber. Back off.

So I did. And that girl left me in her dust. I then hit the biggest hill of the entire course and walked up it.

Check out the elevation map from the course, it was a good mix of uphill and downhill.

Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 2.15.56 PM.png

Mile 3 – 11:46

Mile 4 – 11:23

After that reality check I really backed off and walked up all the big hills and took it easy on the downhills. I didn’t feel anything in my groin again. Maybe I imagined it? I have no idea, but it was the reality check I needed to remind me that if I got injured I would never forgive myself for overdoing it.

Stopped at the aid station again around 4.5 and had a handful of gummy bears and another cup of water and then headed for the finish. The last part of the run was on a single-track as well that weaved around the hill.

By the way, that huge building in the background of this photo is the prison! Ha! One time when I was running in this park and it was foggy I ended up running almost right up to it. It was freaky!

IMG00121.jpg

The last half mile was all down hill so I flew down the hill and into the finishing area where a bunch of people were hanging out and cheering.

Mile 5 – 12:52

Mile 6 – 12:12

Mile 6-6.28 – 9:15 (downhill)

Final Garmin Stats:

6.28 miles – 1:13:14 – 11:40 pace

Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 2.15.00 PM.png

This was a really, really fun race and very well-organized. This was the first year and if it happens again next year I will definitely participate.

It reminded me how much I love running on the trails. The latest issue of Runners World has a whole section related to trail running and I think this quote out of there sums it up perfectly.

“There is a freedom in the movement, and in the unpredictability of what you find out there, no matter how predictable it sometimes seems.”

That’s trail running. You’re running, but you’re not, not the way you run on the roads anyways. It’s not the same motion over and over again. It’s changing up your stride when you go downhill vs. uphill, it’s jumping over rocks and sticks and other things on the path, it’s eyes down, focused so you don’t trip and land flat on your face (it happened to me once!)

Last summer I spent a lot of time on the trails and this summer it kind of got put on the backburner for marathon training. But on Sunday I was reminded how much I love being in the trails and even more so racing in them! Definitely something to think about for next summer.

If you’re a runner and you’ve never gone into the trails I recommend you try it asap!

Oh, and 13 sleeps! 🙂

1. steph anne says:

I love reading these inspiring posts from you and I can’t wait until you run the marathon so I can read all about it!

2. Looks like you had a good race!

And I’m impressed that you raved about how organized it was considering it was the first year- I’ve gone to a few where it’s the 4th or 5th year and they’ve been just short of disasters…

3. Megan says:

My husband is a fan of trail running (and creek running, where he runs across the rocks in the creek). I mostly prefer the road, but I think I’ll try the trails when I’m better at running and less clumsy on the trails! 🙂

Glad you had a good race.

I also LOVE trail running. I haven’t done too many trails but I always do one by my house around a reservoir, I love it. I’m considering doing a trail 5k this Saturday in a town nearby.
    Congrats on your 10K. You really scared me with that tiny pain in your groin thing! yikes, I was like DON”T GET HURT NOW haha.

looks like so much fun! ive never ran a trail race before! great job!

6. abbi says:

Looks like a blast! I haven’t really done any trail running but pretty sure that’s going to be next on the list. Enjoy the taper!

7. lisa says:

That looks awesome! I’m envious. Part of my race Sunday was on a trail and that part was a blast. I want to run a trail race!!!!

8. Samantha says:

What brand is the headband do you know? I’m constantly looking for good headbands that don’t slide!

9. Great job!! I’m dying to do a trail race. It looks like so much fun 🙂

Wow! So impressed you did so many runs this weekend! So excited the marathon’s getting close!

11. Emily Jane says:

You continue to amaze me, well done you!!

12. mandy says:

You are brave for doing a trail run so close to the marathon. As someone who can barely walk on a flat paved surface without tripping, I admire that you can run (and take pictures) and stay focused enough to not fall. Great job, Amber!!

I’m glad you were able to avoid injury! I’m pretty competitive so I would have wanted to pass that girl as well but I’m glad you listened to yourself.
    Way to go on the run/race, though! I would fail at trail running (aka be super slow).

Looks like you had a great race! So awesome that it was well organized and you got great views on top of everything 🙂

15. Jess says:

Congrats on a great race. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I’ve never done a trail race. The most trail I’ve run on is a pretty flat rail trail when I used to live in PA.

16. Morgan says:

Great job out there chica! I can’t believe you ran this so close to the Marathon, you are my hero!!! 13 more sleeps! Ahhhhhhhhhhh you must be getting so excited!!! 🙂

17. Looks like such a cool race! I wish we had more running trails around this area. I don’t really know of many, though, and don’t have anyone to run the trails with (not super comfortable doing the trails alone as they are more remote…).

Good job on the run – I am glad you didn’t push yourself. Now if not the time to do that w/ our big race-of-a-lifetime approaching.

9 sleeps until I see you!

You’re brave! I was going to go trail running this summer but decided I didn’t want to risk breaking something or spraining my ankle too close to Hood to Coast!

19. BostonRunner says:

I’m pretty sure those are the same headbands I wear – I love them! They aren’t expensive either.

Great job on the trail run! I’m glad you listened to your body and slowed down when you felt a tweak. You’re soo close to the marathon!

20. sarahdotcom says:

I love love love trail running. So much fun and it doesn’t feel nearly as monotonous.
    Also, I have a few similar headbands to the one you wore for the race that I bought and never ever wear because unlike you, I look like an alien when i put them on, plus my hair is long enough to entirely fit in a ponytail – if you want me to bring ’em next week, let me know and they are all yours 🙂

21. Trail running is truly something I enjoy doing. Looks like you had a lot of fun. And I agree…that is my number 1 goal too in all my race events =)

22. Lorinda says:

I’d love to know what kind of headband that is too. I’ve used the wider Bondi Bands and they do the trick (and are cute) but cover a lot of your head which makes me overheat.

Great job on the run and listening to your…groin… :0)

I still don’t trust my ankles enough to try trail running but it did look beautiful and sounds like fun!

I’ve never done a trail run but your recap makes it sounds like SO. MUCH. FUN! I don’t even know if we have trails like that around here. 😉

Wow, I’ve never seen a trail race like this before. It looks like a lot of fun!

Wow, I’ve never seen a trail race like this before. It looks like a lot of fun!

26. Heather C says:

Trail running (racing, in this case) is SUCH a good workout! This was probably great strength training 😉 way to be smart about the pace! Can’t believe how quickly your race day is approaching….

27. Sounds like a great race! I love trails. Hopefully, I’ll have more time for them this fall and winter. Good for you for backing off. An injury now would totally suck!

28. Carissa says:

what beautiful views! minus the prison. hehe, just kidding. while I’m not a runner, I do love hiking trails. it’s always nice to have something pretty and interesting to look at 🙂

and glad you didn’t get hurt. always better to be safe than sorry right? good for you for listening to your body.

29. You are quite the runner girl!! Congrats!!

30. That looks like such a fun race!! Good move backing off when you felt that twinge – sometimes its hard not to get all competitive.

31. Phil says:

Awesome summary of your race. Thanks so much I love reading about peoples experiences and I am glad that you enjoyed our race. Hopefully we will see you next year and have fun at your marathon.

32. […] Sunday I ran the Dirty Feet 10K trail race here in Kamloops. This was my second time doing a Dirty Feet Trail Race and I have to say they are some of the best organized races with the best swag that I’ve ever […]

33. […] I ran a 10K Trail Race […]

34. […] Series. I love this race series if you can’t tell Read about my first two races with them here and […]

35. […] last year I ran 12 miles on the Saturday (a short run at the time for marathon training) and then did this same trail race on the Sunday. Well apparently it was deja-vu for me this year because I also ran 12 miles […]

36. […] the trail race with Eric, his first running race ever! This is the same 10km trail race I have ran every year since 2010! With Eric hot on my heels for the entire race we managed to finish in 1:06, a two minute PR over […]