Amazing Dinner!

Maybe some of my Twitter followers were wondering what I was talking about when I posted this on Saturday night?

Screen shot 2010-08-30 at 6.36.49 PM.png

Well, you’re about to find out!

One of my favourite things that we did when my mom was visiting was spending 2+ hours in the kitchen on Saturday night cooking an amazing dinner made completely from fresh, local ingredients! Our Saturday began with a trip to the Farmer’s Market where we picked up a plethora of things for dinner that night.

DSC_0277.JPG

On the menu?

Corn on the cob, salmon, roasted beets, salad and fresh peach pastries for dessert.

DSC_0393.JPG DSC_0394.JPG DSC_0399.JPG

While I did help a little bit with the amazing food you are about to see, I have to give the majority of the credit to my mom!

DSC_0406.JPG

I did make my infamous homemade salad dressing, though.

DSC_0415.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

OK, it’s really not that special or famous. Ingredients include:

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Balsamic
  • Honey
  • Mustard

All of the above TO TASTE. I chose to make mine a bit sweeter on Saturday night so added more honey!

Oh, I made the salad too! Hehe

DSC_0421.JPG

OK, time for the good pictures of the final dinner:

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

DSC_0448.JPG

DSC_0453.JPG

Honestly you guys, I think this may have been the best dinner I have ever ate. And 95% of the stuff you see on that plate? Local!

But the dessert. Oh, the dessert.

Peach Pastries

Ingredients

• 3 fresh peaches
  • 2 packages of Tenderflake Puff Pastry
  • 1 can of sliced peaches in light syrup
  • 1 small bottle of Grand Marnier
  • 1 egg white
  • Vanilla ice cream

This was all my mom’s doing by the way! All I did was peel and slice the peaches.

DSC_0398.JPG

We then added them to the Puff Pastry.

DSC_0402.JPG

And squished another puff pastry on top:

DSC_0403.JPG

My mom then put egg white all over the tops of them and baked them for approximately 20-30 minutes. Until they came out golden brown.

DSC_0435.JPG

We then added the sauce to the top, which was made with blended up sliced peaches and grand marnier.

DSC_0459.JPG

And a little bit of vanilla ice cream.

DSC_0464.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG

And then? After eating all of this, I fell into a food coma and died.

Seriously. Best meal ever.

We had a fabulous visit, and did a lot of other fun things like go shopping and to the movies and clean my dirty-dirty apartment (in my mom’s eyes anyways 😉 ) but the highlight of the weekend for me was spending 2+ hours in the kitchen with my mom on Saturday night cooking this unbelievable meal! It was SO FUN!

What was the highlight of your weekend?

This does look an awesome meal, definitely something I would eat- I love trips to the farmers market 🙂 This time of year there is really no excuse not to buy local foods, everything is being grown right now! Glad you and your mom had fun!

2. Eating fresh & local really does make a huge difference in the taste doesn’t it? 🙂 Looks like a great time!

Wow. That looks absolutely amazing! I am glad you had so much fun with your mom

4. Keri says:

Oooh looks so good!

5. abbi says:

yum
    yum
    No wonder you posted that was the best meal ever…looks delicious!

6. aw! glad to hear you had a good time with your mom! i know everything tastes better when my mom is involved 🙂

hmm…the highlight of my weekend was going out for dinner with the husband. i also got in an 8km run, which i haven’t done in a LONG time. felt amazing to be back running!

7. There is something so very soothing about cooking with loved ones … and then there’s something so terribly satisfying about eating said meal together. Yours looks delicious and it seems like you spent some valued time with your mom, too. Win!

Could you please send me some of that dessert? STAT. Thanks 🙂

9. That’s awesome that you got to cook with your mom! Maybe I should insist on that when I go home next weekend…

Everything looked so delicious! I always find that meals cooked by others are the best…maybe I’m just too hard on myself when I make new recipes.

Glad to hear that you had a great weekend with your mom 🙂

11. BostonRunner says:

That looks like an amazing meal! I looooove salmon. Seriously like my favorite food : )

12. Katrina says:

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Saturday and the meal looks amazing!!

On Saturday we did a four hour walk. Lately we’ve been renting movies from Safeway, but we have to walk down there and walk back. So on Saturday on our walk we stopped at a garage sale, finally got our lake passes, checked out some new cars,
    went for breakfast at Dennys, returned the movies then went to Bo Bebe….four hour walk, lovvvvvvves it 🙂

13. Amber, that meal looks great! I love making meals with other people. Makes the process a lot more fun. Making butternut squash soup was prob one of the most fun and time consuming meals I’ve made. And it was delish to boot!

My mouth is totally watering. Seriously.
    Looks amazing!

15. Im glad you had a good time with your mom! 🙂

That meal does look amazing. Those pastries sound incredible!

16. Tammy says:

YUM YUM Amber!! That looks so amazing I am seriously HUNGRY!!!

My highlight of the weekend was the entire weekend! I got to see some amazing people (you) on friday, which BTW, you look SO FABULOUS!!! I can’t wait to come back and visit for longer!
    Went to a wedding and watched two best friends make a promise for life! (Jen and I both cried, tears of happiness) The bride was gorgeous!!
    And then home to get my crazy life back on track. Fun fun!!

PS. Really hungry…!

Have a great Tuesday!!
    xo
    tam.

ps. do we get a Friday five? (they are my favs)

17. YUM! How tasty does this dinner look?

I am so happy to hear that you got to spend some good quality time with your mom. Nights like that are the best!

I love this dressing, so simple, yet so tasty!

xxoo

mmmmm that meal looks DELISH!!!

19. Oh wow – that all looks delicious! You are killing me with your ‘to taste’ salad dressing recipe, though. 😉 You know me… Anal Lisa. I love that pic of you making it though – your hair looks great, by the way!

It’s tough to pick a highlight of the weekend! The whole weekend was great. Maybe Saturday night was my fave becuase it was low key? We went to this cute pub type of place, ate dinner, and played music bingo. 🙂

20. erin says:

there is something about eating fresh and local. i swear there is a world of difference!

21. steph anne says:

Um, I think I need to come over and you can make me all that (again!)! 🙂

Wow! I can’t decide what looks more delicious!!

23. Heather C says:

Oh those peach pastries look so good! And easy – must try this 🙂

I’m going to have to try your famous salad dressing recipe! I think I’ve seen it around, but never attempted it. It must have been so great to have your mom around for the weekend!

25. O.M.G. – that dessert!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole meal looks absolutely mouth watering. I love all the veggies!! It is a very healthy dinner 🙂

26. Lo says:

That looks amazing! I’m glad you didn’t really die from the food coma. haha.

Highlight – taking my mom out for dinner for her birthday on Sunday!

27. Jessica says:

Yes, wow, OMG that looks amazing. Great photos too! Now I’m hungry!

28. Carissa says:

sounds like you two had an amazing time! how nice that you were able to spend quality time with your mom this weekend. and eat a delicious meal to boot! nothing better, in my book, than preparing a meal all on your own and it actually ending up tasting good! haha. but really, those peach pastries have me drooling. now I want dessert!

my weekend highlight was probably going to the Norton Simon Museum. I hadn’t been to a museum for a while and it was fun to go to one I had never been to!

29. Emily Jane says:

What an amazing dinner! LOVE corn on the cob… and thanks for sharing the recipe for the salad dressing, I’ve been looking for some new ones 🙂

30. shoshanah says:

All that food looks great especially the peach pastries! I have to say, one of my favorite things about when my parents visit is probably all the yummy food they make when they’re here

31. mandy says:

This food looks amazing. I love cooking with my family and friends. Its so relaxing (esp when paired with a glass or two of wine).

32. Anais says:

MMMM that looks so good!!! I must find someone to cook for me 😉