Happy Canada Day!

canada_flag-map

{Source}

Last year when I posted about Canada Day a surprising number of my American readers had no idea what I was talking about!

Well, my lovely American friends, I’m here to tell you that your country is not the only one that celebrates a special day to honour your nation. We do it too! Every July 1 = Canada Day. The reason for it being July 1 is because it’s the date that Canada actually became a country, back in 1867! You can read about that here.

Basically this means a day off of work (yes, it’s a statutory holiday!), a day of parades and flag-waving, and maple leafs being painted on faces and people getting drunk. Hehe.

Want to know some interesting facts about Canada?

• The country of Canada takes up most of North America and is the second largest country in the world!
  • We don’t have “states”, we have 10 provinces and three territories. I live in the province of British Columbia, which is the most western province.
  • Canada is a constitutional monarchy, and technically, the Queen (yes, the Queen of England) is the highest head of state in Canada.
  • We don’t have a President, we have a Prime Minister.
  • We don’t have Democrats and Republicans. We have Liberals and Conservatives (the two main parties but there are more). I’ve been writing a post in my head about the difference in our political systems – I will plan to post it soon!
  • We have a publicly-funded health care system.
  • The border between Canada and the United States is the worlds longest undefended border (hi pals!)
  • Our population density is among the lowest in the world! Remember how I explained we have 30 million people compared to the U.S. 300 million?!
  • Canada has more lakes than any other country in the world and most of the worlds fresh-water is in Canada!
  • Our money is colourful 🙂
  • We spell things with a “u” – colourful, favourite, neighbour.
  • Canada’s culture is greatly influenced by immigration from all over the world – we’re a very multicultural country.
  • No, we don’t ALL speak French (I don’t) but our official languages are French AND English

Traveling to different countries has taught me a lot, a lot, A LOT of great lessons. But the biggest lesson of all? Appreciate where you’re from; traveling has made me love my country and province even more. I never want to live anywhere else!

Happy Canada Day! I, for one, am EXTREMELY PROUD to be a Canadian!

1. Hezabelle says:

Happy Canada Day!!!

You wouldn’t believe how many English people are surprised we have a Queen too. I confuse them because I call her the Queen of Canada (since technically, she is).

2. BostonRunner says:

Great facts! It must be so cool to be from Canada.
    I always thought it was interesting how Canada’s independence day and the US’ independence day is so close to each other!

• MissAmber says:

Well I wouldn’t technically call it an “independence day” since the U.S. celebrates July 4 because its when they became an independent country from England – and Canada is technically NOT an independent country from England BUT Canada Day is the day that Canada became it’s own country. So July 1 is kind of like Canada’s birthday 🙂

Haha, I am happy to say I DID know you guys celebrate Canada Day- and although I don’t know about it everywhere, but I assume that most countries also have a day to celebrate their country. I loved reading your fun facts about Canada- I don’t know why but I’m not sure I realized it was the second largest country in the world (or maybe you mentioned that when you talked about how small the population is in comparison…). I did know about the Queen/Prime Minister because I believe it works very similarly in Australia where I studied abroad. I love the u spelling, it took me longer to adjust OUT of doing that when I got back from Australia because I was excited to do it when I got there- to this day I spell harbour this way because I don’t write harbour that often at home and I wrote “Sydney Harbour” often while I was there haha.
    This might be random but do you find French to be more popular language wise on the east side of Canada? For some reason I always think of Montreal as more French than other cities in Canada. Or I just made that up, who knows!
    As always, I love your Canada posts.

PS. What do they mean by “unguarded” border? Seems guarded to me… haha

Happy Canada Day!!

6. Yes, traveling to another country definitely makes you appreciate where you come from. No matter how great my vacation is, I am always happy to return home to the US.

Happy Canada Day! Thanks for the mini-history lesson about your wonderful country! 🙂

7. Hooray for Canada! I need to get up that way again. I’ve really only been to Canada once and it was on a trip to Niagara Falls which I’m sure isn’t representative of your country as whole at all! I’d love to come and visit some of the older cities – any places you can reccommend?

• MissAmber says:

Um, I might be kind of biased but British Columbia!!! It’s tagline is “Beautiful British Columbia” because we have so much natural beauty here – mountains, lakes, the ocean! I absolutely LOVE this province. Vancouver is also a GORGEOUS city and very fun!

8. Bec says:

Happy Canada day to you too! Hope you have amazing plans, I am working all day but I don’t even mind lol 🙂

9. Happy Canada Day! 😉

10. Jess says:

I love your random facts about Canada. It’s definitely fun to learn more about my neighbors to the North! 🙂 Hope you enjoy your Canada day!

11. erin says:

love those facts! happy canada day!

Happy Canada Day! I love that you guys get the day off even though it’s in the middle of the week; that rocks 🙂 I’ve been to Canada a few times and can say that I LOVE your country. It’s beautiful, the people are friendly, and I have to say everyone seems much happier up there.

Ah, border patrol. I had such fun with them (not) on my way home from Canada nearly two years ago. Fun group (well actually it was the US patrol dude who was the problem!)

Ooh, I didn’t know a lot of this – thanks for the fun history lesson! Happy Canada Day! 🙂

14. I LOVE CANADA! It’s all caps because it’s true! I just to spend my summers in Ontario and I miss it every year. I have seriously considered moving to Canada…maybe some day! I would love to visit Western Canada where you live. I’ve heard it’s beautiful! Happy Canada Day!

15. exgf says:

Happy Canada Day to you!!! Enjoy your day off, flag waving, drunk getting canada fest! I’m trapped behind my desk working 🙁 boo! I’d rather be Canadian right now 🙂

16. H-woman says:

Happy Canada Day!

I loved the fun facts. We had a trivia contest at work and it was shocking the things people didn’t know about their own country. The people who knew the most: our co-workers that immigrated. They CHOSE Canada–so they know lots of the history (it’s part of the citizenship test). Doesn’t say much for our education system, though, does it?

Alas, enjoy the fabulous day! I’m heading out on my bike before work. Cha-ching! Double time today. Gotta love Stat holidays. =)

17. I will admit, I didn’t know you guys had this National Holiday… but now I do! And I’m a little more informed about my friendly neighbors to the North! 🙂

Have a good holiday!

18. Rebecca says:

Happy Canada Day Amber! 🙂

I actually had the pleasure of spending Canada Day in Vancouver back in 2004. It was quite an experience seeing all of the people out celebrating.

Thanks for highlighting some interesting facts about Canada. This was a great post!

19. Vanessa says:

Happy Canada Day!

I love this post. The place we live kind of rocks, doesn’t it? 😉

Happy Canada Day Amber! Hope you have a great day! And great post 🙂

21. Amanda says:

I feel so proud for knowing so much of that! 😉 What blows my mind is the population statistic! The population of CALIFORNIA in 2009 was almost 37,000,000…which means we’re practically an entire New York City bigger than Canada, people wise. No wonder I sit in traffic so much, ha!

Happy Canada Day!!

22. Nikki says:

I didn’t really every think about the US/Canadian border being the largest undefended one! That’s pretty cool! Happy Canada Day, neighbour (see what I did? I used the “u” in honour of Canada…oh look! I did it again! heh!)!

23. Carol says:

HHAPPY BIRTHDAY, CANADA! Love being a proud Canadian all the time. But our population has changed…we’re up to 34 million now! Where are we going to put them all?!?!
    🙂

24. I’ve always appreciated Canada because it feels like it’s a more laid-back version of the US. You’ve got many of the same things we have (cities, countries, outdoors, beaches, mountains, sports, theater, etc.), but your people don’t seem so cranked up all the time the way Americans are. =)

I love spelling things with a “U”! Probably one of my most favoUrite things! lol

26. Lynn says:

Happy Canada Day!! We are truly lucky to live in such a wonderful country.

I love all your cool Canadian facts! 🙂

27. Happy Canada Day from another extremely proud Canadian!!

Happy Canada Day! I have to say, there are times I think how much better you guys have it (what with health care and all) but I’m also a proud American, so there is that.

Anyway, have a great holiday!

29. kilax says:

I loved reading all the facts! Thanks for sharing!

What is the world’s largest country then?

30. Happy Birthday Canada! :0)

31. mandy says:

Happy Canada day!! I am going to celebrate the rest of Canada day (and maybe tomorrow too) by spelling my works with a u! As in you’re one of my favourite bloggers!!

32. Jen says:

Happy Canada Day!! I love where we live…ALOT!!!
    xoxo

33. Caz says:

woohoo! When I realized yesterday that this is my THIRD Canada Day away from home it was kind of ridiculous. I mean seriously, didn’t I just graduate like 5 minutes ago?

BC is amazing (although I do have a soft-spot for Ontario too) and I definitely still consider it ‘home’ just as much as Melbourne is.

34. Amber says:

This was very educational! I love learning more about Canada!! 🙂 Happy Canada Day!!

35. Megan says:

I hope you had a great Canada day! Our Independence Day is this Sunday, but my husband and I will be celebrating with our in-law’s tomorrow with a cookout/pool party. And we’ll be watching the fireworks in town from the top of the hill we live on. Can’t wait!

36. Kyla Roma says:

Hope you had a great time! We went out to a street festival and got REALLY sunburned lol

37. Emily Jane says:

I love that we both did Canada Day posts! Great facts, hope you had a good one! 🙂

38. Lo says:

Happy Canada Day….. for yesterday!

39. Have a great weekend, Amber!

40. shoshanah says:

I think its kind of crazy, but cool in a way, that Canada is still somewhat of a British territory. I guess because I’m a bit in love with the idea of royalty.

And a bit random, but I definitely remember in 4th grade, noticing in the Anne of Green Gables books that color was spelled as colour. I kind of like that they didn’t change it for an American audience.

And finally, hope you had a happy Canadian Day yesterday!

41. megabrooke says:

happy canada day! i just got back from montreal on monday!

42. Ahhh, Canada – I love it!!!

43. In regard to your comment on my blog … that song “Feels Like Home” is SO awesome!! It was actually my wedding song! I walked down the aisle to it, and it was also our first dance song 🙂