Farmers Market

One of my favourite weekend rituals is the Farmers Market.

farmers-market

Kamloops – being so close to the Okanagan (hello fresh fruit) – has an amazing Farmers Market. I only went once last summer but this summer I’ve gone almost every weekend so far!

Saturday my fridge was looking kind of sparse so I really stocked up, this is the first weekend I’ve been that they had so much fruit.

I got blueberries, raspberries, peaches and cherries. B.C. cherries are the best thing ever.

berries

cherries

I also got some delicious tomatoes and peppers. You know, I have never been a fan of tomatoes but I LOVE the ones that I get at the Farmers Market every weekend. They are so fresh and delicious.

tomatoes-and-peppers

Every single weekend I go I pass the kettlecorn booth and eye it up. But I never buy any. Well this weekend I finally gave into my urges. I figured I was running 14-miles on Sunday so I deserved a bag of kettlecorn 🙂

kettlecorn-booth

kettlecorn

I also treated myself to some Bannock. If you’ve never had bannock you are majorly missing out. It is the most amazing piece of fried goodness ever. Ever!

bannock

I also got some bread – one loaf of whole wheat and one loaf of cinnamon raisin.

All together now.

groceries

I got the above haul of stuff for about $45, so not cheap. If you remember my grocery shopping trip a couple weeks ago I got much more stuff for $44 at Superstore.

BUT I’d rather give my money to the local farmers than to Superstore OR even the local Organic store. There is something about handing cash directly to the person who picked the tomato, or cherry or baked the bread that makes me feel good! 🙂

Do you shop at your local Farmers Market?

The farmers market in my town is on Tuesday afternoon/night. Last year I promised myself I would go but never did. This year Eric and I have been twice and I plan to go a bunch more once I’m home. The vegetables are amazing and Eric has been getting some cheese that he uses to make his meals on Tuesday nights. I really want to explore a farmer’s market with more things- we don’t have nearly the fruit selection you do. I’m going to have to look into nearby towns or venture into Boston one day. I agree with you that I’d rather give my money to the farmer picking it.
    PS. I love reading your blog a day early 🙂 haha

2. All the time! I love going to the farmers market – the whole environment and sense of community, along with the delicious fresh food is just wonderful! I can usually get two large bags full of fresh produce, bread etc for around $50 at the Halifax Farmers Market.

3. I commend you for spending the money at the market and buying local. I would love to buy more locally grown produce myself but can’t always afford to (I need more for my $). If I could I would grow a lot of the vegetables myself…maybe some day.

I LOVE the local farmer’s market here! I’ve never had Banook – I’ll try that if you’ll have rice krispie treats! (Didn’t you say you’d never had them?!)

5. Emily Jane says:

I have never had bannock, what is it? Fried what? It looks delicious! And we have a local farmer’s market too – D’s mum always goes and gets rhubarb there for us, ’cause I think it is the only place in the whole city you can actually get it. I have to venture out and explore for myself one day!

6. mandy says:

I am a fan of farmers markets. I don’t always buy a lot because my grandpap grows a big garden but I do love to support local when I can.

7. lisa says:

I don’t shop at the farmers market, but I practically have my own out back – my garden is overflowing!

8. Megan says:

I’m not even sure where the closest farmer’s market is. I know I don’t have one where I live, so maybe Chattanooga, TN … which is about an hour away. Once we move there, though, I’ll definitely be visiting the market. Luckily, Husband’ s grandparents have a huge garden next to us, and we get fresh veggies … plus, we go out and pick our own blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries nearby. I’d LOVE to have a Farmer’s Market, though.

9. BostonRunner says:

Ohhh yummm! Everything looks so good! I’ve never been to a farmer’s market before, but apparently there is one in our town that Kelly goes to (see above haha) – I’ll have to join her next time!

10. I love our Farmer’s Market. However, we talk about it a lot more than we actually do go. We have one Monday nights, Wednesday mornings and Saturday mornings. We are surrounded by farms.. yumm ..

Yes! We have several little farmer’s markets around town and they are to die for! One of my favorite things to get at the farmer’s market is cheese. Homemade goat cheese. It’s so delicious. Oh, and the fresh picked corn. YUM. When I was there last the kid said that he picked it *that* morning at like 4 am. That’s dedication. It was delicious for sure!

There is one farmers market here that I know of and it’s really expensive. Well, it’s expensive because everything is organic, but not sure about locally grown. If I had a lot of money to spend, I would definitely be shopping there!

Ps- you are right…BC fruit and corn is the best!!

13. Courtney says:

What exactly is in a bannock? But, I do love Farmers Markets! Just found your blog and it’s absolutely adorable!

Stop by One Fine Wire if you ever get a chance, I’d love to see you there!

So nice to meet you!
    PS – I dated my husband for 2 years long distance – good for you! People can do it!

14. Elle Bee says:

I agree; BC cherries are INCREDIBLE. I love the farmers’ market. While it may be more expensive, the produce is so beautiful and delicious. And it’s nice to get out in the sunshine and walk around.

I am drooling over those raspberries! And bannock! SO GOOD! 😀

I’ve only *officially* been to the farmers’ market once. Bad me! But the selection is awesome and the fruit is always so good! I used to stop by the one during the week (Wednesday?) when I was out and about for work. Fresh cherries are amazing!

16. Samantha says:

My husband and I love going to the farmers markets in town! This past weekend, we got some peaches, onions, corn on the cob, and a basil plant. 🙂 Just like you said, I also love giving money directly to the local farmers who grew them. Much better than shopping for produce at a big grocery store.

17. I love going to the Farmer’s Market, and I LOVE Bannock!!!

Our Farmer’s Market is only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9-1. We are away so many Saturdays that it is hard to make it there as often as we would like.

18. Good for you for supporting your local farmers! I LOVE going to the Farmer’s Market here in Baltimore (it’s supposed to be one of the best around), but I rarely buy more than one or two things … I usually get the things I can’t typically get at the grocery like your splurge items! They’re more fun to spend money on anyway. Hee hee.

19. Sam says:

I go to my local farmers market, but ours is really small and currently only has corn, breads and jams. I go to a produce stand for my produce sometimes. I’ve never had bannock. Looks good!

I havent been to a farmers market in years!!! 🙂 sounds like a good stop though!!! the local farmers around here would for sure appreciate something like that!

21. Ooh, looks like an awesome haul. It is a bit spendy to shop at the farmer’s market, but worth it. And splurge on the things that make you extra happy. I’m going to our tues farmer’s market downtown at lunch. Yippee!

22. You are the third Canadian blogger to gush about fresh, local berries this week…. I’m clearly missing out! I like the idea of shopping at our local farmer’s market … but, the reality is the timing never works for us. So, we try to shop local at our health food’s store whose hours are more inline with ours.

23. Lindsay-Jean says:

What gorgeous photos! You should upload them onto RealTimeFarms.com to get more exposure for your local farmer’s market and farmers!

24. Ashley says:

Ah, fun. We have a farmer’s market here and I never go. It’s definitely on my list, though.

25. Erin says:

I just went to our local farmer’s market last Friday and I was SO pleased with my selections. 3 gorgeous eggplants and green peppers. The fruit in your pictures looks SO delicious! I can’t wait to buy some this week!!

26. Tammy says:

I love the farmers market here too! They are every Wednesday at lunch and saturday mornings. If you don’t get down there early… you are SOL. I find when I go there, all I want to get are the pies, and those tasty chocolate puff wheat squares.. puffed wheat = healthy right..? ha.

Last time i was there I got a Sage plant – thinking I would do lots of cooking with it… yeah its about to take over my house!

Okay funny story — So my parents were down a couple weeks ago and I took them to the farm to check out the crops and see where the other half of my heart is. This year Kris grew peas. Now for some reason I was thinking when you grew peas in a field to harvest them they did not grow in a pod, nor on a vine… well to my surprise… they were garden peas!!! 160 acres of them!!! I was in total heaven and made an executive decision (with out Kris) that we are growing Peas every year!!

I am going to send you a couple pictures Amber, you will get a good laugh.

Thanks for the great post!!

xo
    tam.

27. Yum! All of that looks so so so delish! I think it’s worth it to splurge on fresh produce!

I rarely go to the farmers market here… I just can’t get my act together and get there on the weekend!! I keep saying I will go, but then Sat morning rolls around and I can’t seem to find the time to get there between running & all!

• Monica says:

Hi Lisa,

What do you think would push you over the edge to get up and actually go? I’m a student at Academy of Art University & our class is working on a project for Farmers Markets. We were all wondering what would make the people who don’t go, go.

I’d really appreciate hearing what you have to say!

Cheers,
      Monica

• It seems like a lot of the markets are only open in the mornings, and my mornings tend to be tied up with running since I am training for a marathon… So if they were open in the afternoons, I would be more inclined to go…

Also, I would want to know that the produce was locally sourced. There is a farmer’s market during the week in downtown Minneapolis, and they sell things that aren’t raised locally/aren’t in season… For instance – they sell bananas. Bananas do not grow in Minneapolis… So I begin to wonder – which booths ARE selling locally sourced produce….

I did go to a farmer’s market a couple of weeks ago when I had friends in town, though! So I did eventually make it!

• Monica says:

Thank you for your quick response Lisa! Time is a big issue for those of us with a busy schedule. Bananas definitely don’t grow in Minneapolis! =)

28. I have tried really hard to enjoy going to the Farmer’s Market but I have come to accept that it’s not a place I like to be. I love buying fresh food direct from the source but I hate the crowds. Instead, I’ve scoped out a few very well-supplied road side stands in my area and I hit them up on a regular basis. Buying direct from the source but without the crowds.

29. I love the farmers market! I’ve been meaning to go for the past several weeks — now I just have to force myself to get up in the morning! All of the fresh fruit you picked up looks so yummy! And now I really want to try Bannock. I’d never heard of that before! Sounds delish. And yes, you totally deserve some kettle korn!

The Farmer’s Market is a place I really need to go. We have one in my city but I’ve never gone, even though I read blog posts of people who go just about every Saturday. You’re just enticing me to go that much more!

31. Maddy says:

How fun! The photos alone make me want to go to tomorrow’s Farmer’s Weekend.

They are pricey… But, like you said, you feel better about it. It’s the same reason why I don’t mind shopping at New Seasons/Market of Choice/etc. over Safeway/Fred’s.

32. shoshanah says:

My parents are big on farmer’s markets, and probably go to one every other week or so. Also when they travel they try to visit local farmer’s markets as well. I don’t go to farmer’s markets on my own, but I have been to quite a few with my parents.

33. Kyla Roma says:

I miss bannock so much! I used to work with Aboriginal youth, and their grandmas would come in with tons of it and basically make my life every saturday. 🙂

Farmers markets are the best, I’m a big fan 🙂

YUM! This totally inspired (reminded) me to go to the Farmer’s Market this weekend! Thanks!

35. Jessica says:

I have to admit, I don’t get to the farmer’s market too often 🙁 But I LOVE the fresh fruit and eggs there. They taste SO different than from the store.

36. Sydney has a few markets scattered around town, but since i live downtown and without a vehicle, i don’t get to them so often. so jealous though…farmer’s market in Kamloops must be awesome! (and you’re right, nothing like B.C. cherries.)

37. I love the farmer’s markets! Maybe you’re going to the wrong one? I got 3 pounds of bananas for a dollars the other day. It was 1/2 our grocery store prices.

38. I do shop at my farmers markets. My actual town doesn’t have one, the cloest is the 7 minute drive to the next town, but it is so small, so I drive the 20 minutes the opposite direction to the bigger farmers market.

This all looks so good. I really need to check out my local farmers market. Now if only I had money… 😉

40. Carissa says:

I never go to the Farmers Market but I want to! there’s one on Fridays in my town that I could go to (if I skipped out on work!), though I don’t think it has as good of a selection as ones farther away in LA. but your pictures show me what I’m missing out on. what gorgeous berries! though the price doesn’t seem a bit much, I think it would be worth it– though I don’t think I could afford to go all the time. anyway, I must put going to the Farmers Market on my to do list before summer is over!

41. Ali says:

I love our farmers market. Everything tastes so amazing. But I end up spending $$

42. Monica says:

Hi,

Why do you think people who would like to go, actually don’t go? I’m a student at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco and our class is doing a project on Farmers Markets. I’d really appreciate hearing what you think about this!

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!
    Monica

43. […] River Farm Eggs – a local, B.C. company that claims to raise certified organic eggs. With the Farmer’s Market over for the season I think this is the best I’m going to find for organic, local-ish eggs. […]

44. […] It was french toast stuffed with cheese (can’t remember the kind) and fruit. SO SO good! Then we went to the Ottawa Farmers Market to wander around for a bit. I was very excited about this outing because I am obsessed with Farmers Markets! […]

45. […] morning we went to the Farmers Market! I LOVE the Farmers Market and go almost every weekend in the summer. Since it’s only the 2nd weekend it’s open […]

46. […] Eric had to work until noon on Saturday so I entertained our guests in the morning. I took them to the place I take ALL my out-of-town guests: The Farmers Market! […]