Race Report: Oliver ‘Wine Capital of Canada’ 10K

Saturday me and Danielle headed off on a 3 hour road-trip southeast to the teeny, tiny town of Oliver, B.C. so I could run my first race of the 2010 season and my second 10K ever!

amber-with-oliver-sign

We stayed with my Grandpa, who parks his motor home in Oliver in the winter. The winters are much milder there then FSJ 😉

me-with-grandpa

Oliver is an insanely small town. It doesn’t even have a Tim Hortons (this is weird in Canada)! It has a population of about 4,500 people and there main industry is wine. There are a bunch of wineries around Oliver and Liane recently did a great review on them all. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to visit any of them. Next time!

The night before the race we had steak and baked potatoes with my grandpa and then just kind of hung out around the campground. Danielle tested out a product for me that I was sent to review, watch for a giveaway in a few weeks 😉

The race didn’t start until 10 AM, so I didn’t have to get up at an ungodly hour to go to the start line, thank goodness.

I didn’t have too high of expectations for this race as I’ve been having a lot of shin pain lately, but I did want to try and PR if I could. My previous 10K PR was 1:00:53 but that was on a very hilly course so I thought I could probably do it. I wanted to negative split so my plan was to hold about a 9:30 pace the first three miles and aim for a 9:00 pace the last three. The race was a nice out-and-back along this little river/canal. I just wish it had been sunny that day!

before-race

Miles 1-3

Mile 1: 9:08 – I have chronic starting-out-too-fast syndrome.

Mile 2: 9:27

Mile 3: 9:16

I felt pretty good these first three miles, it was along a paved path and I was just kind of cruising and feeling awesome. The wind was at my back so that definitely helped. Took a brief 20ish second walking break at the first aid station and other then that I ran the whole way.

race-start

An artistic feet photo that Danielle took! I really like this photo.

feet-artistic

Miles 4-6.2

Mile 4 – 9:12

Mile 5 – 9:31

Mile 6 – 9:16

Mile 6-6.23 – 8:20

These last 3.23 miles is where it got tough! When we hit the turnaround point the wind was blowing strong against us, which really messed up my pace. The last couple of miles were also ran on sand/grass so that slowed me down a lot!

I started running alongside these two girls the last couple of miles and stuck closely behind them.

almost-done

Until the last 10 metres or so when I sprinted past them! 😀 I always go ALL OUT at the end of races! Anyone else do that?

finish-line

Overall Garmin Stats:

Distance: 6.23 miles

Time: 57:42

Average Pace: 9:16/mile

PR SUCCESS!

After showering and having lunch with my Grandpa we headed back to Kamloops but we had one very important destination in mind on the way: Tickleberry’s in Okanagan Falls! I’d heard amazing things about the ice cream and homemade fudge!

ice-cream-menu

tinkleberry-fudge

I went with a kit-kat ice cream cone and two pieces of Brown Sugar fudge to take home for me and Eric! Yum!

kit-kat-ice-cream

brown-sugar-fudge

And our last stop before finishing up the long drive home was Skaha beach in Penticton. Fun fact: My family used to rent a house on this lake every. single. summer for two weeks! We would go boating and sea-doing for the first week of our vacation and the second week me and my brother would go to Okanagan Hockey School! I have some amazing memories of summers in Penticton!

skaha-beach

beachwriting

It was overall successful, fun and relaxing weekend! I’m super-glad I got to spend some time with Danielle because she is moving back to Newfoundland (read: other side of the country) tomorrow!! 🙁

1. That is a fantastic job on the 10k! Way to go!!!

And that ice cream afterwards looks like it made the race totally worth it… kit kat icecream? That is the best sounding thing ever…

Ah Canadian geography- I do actually know where Newfoundland is…only cuz it’s pretty close to me I’m guessing, but I am getting better with my Canadian geography in general.

The wine capital of Canada looks AWESOME- now I really want to go there. I love wine tastings! Your race looks great too- congrats on the PR! I love races that start at 10 am…I think I sleep better the night before not thinking about waking up really really early.

This is going to be a dumb question but here I go- what is with runner’s and wanting negative splits? I mean I think it makes sense to not go out too hard and have no energy left, but whats the advantage of negative splits over just keeping a relatively steady pace?

• MissAmber says:

I think – for me anyways – it’s because if you start out too fast you are kind of screwing yourself for the end of the race. So I like to start out a bit slower and then speed up at the end. It’s also all about finishing strong!

YAY! Congrats on the PR! How are your shins feeling now?

• MissAmber says:

GOOD! *knock on wood* I haven’t ran since but there’s only been a slight amount of soreness since the race. I’m icing every day!!

4. erin says:

it’s amazing at how fast you’ve gotten over the last year! i’m jealous!!!

and a huge congrats on making your PR! and i usually always go all out the last 1/2 mile. usually the crowds are cheering people on, so I just use that to really push myself!

5. J says:

Congrats on the PR! That is really great! And that ice cream looks so yummy!

6. Congrats on the PR! That was an awesome race time! Way to go, girl!

Those pictures are awesome. And how sweet that you guys stayed with your grandpa. I bet he was so excited to host you that night.

I am glad you & your friend got to do this little getaway together. So tough to see friends move so far away!!

7. Laura says:

COngrats!! Great PB.
    Wine Capital of Canada? My kind of place…

8. nicole says:

awesome job! woot amber!

9. Morgan says:

Congrats on the most excellent PR girly! Woot woot! Loved the pics and seriously… drooling over that fudge!

10. lisa says:

Congratulations! You did a great job with that 10K!!!

11. mandy says:

Congratulations on your PR!! It definitely sounds like you had a great weekend. I am glad that you got to visit with both your friend and your grandpap. And visit some fun places along the way. I have such wonderful memories of my family renting a house up on one of the islands in Lake Erie during the summers of my childhood. I get back there every once in a while and its always very special.

12. Emily Jane says:

This is incredible!! Huge congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment. I would never be able to come CLOSE to 10k and I am hugely impressed 🙂 Glad you got to visit with loved ones and see some lovely places, too 🙂

13. Congrats on a fantastic time on your 10k and setting a PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ice cream looks delish!! Loads of selections!!!!!!!

14. BostonRunner says:

Congrats on the PR!! Love all the pictures, especially the one of all the feet (that sounds weird).. I wish I was good at photography..

Congrats on the PR! That’s amazing =)

The ice cream & fudge sounds like an aammmazing way to end a race day. Especially with Kit Kats in them. YUM. (My mouth is watering and it’s only 9 am here, this is not a good sign!)

Congratulations on the PR!! It sounds like you had a great roadtrip and race.

Last summer, Mr.D and I did a road trip to Kamloops and then onto Penticton for close to a week. Penticton is awesome!

17. Anais says:

Hahaha “chronic starting-out-too-fast syndrome”. I do too! No matter what I’m always going too fast…

Congrats on the PR, that’s an amazing time!! When I saw the pic of you running behind the two girls I was like “I hope she sprinted past them at the end” and you did 😉

I love that pic of you by the beach!!

18. Cari says:

Congrats… you are my hero!

19. Congrats on doing well on the race! Sorry though about your friend moving across country, that’ll be hard but hopefully it’ll give you an excuse to travel more.

OMg – I’m drooling at all the ice cream and fudge!

Congrats on your race too!

21. H-woman says:

You’re a supah stah! Good job on the PR!

H =)

22. Jess says:

Congrats on your PR!!! Way to go and mmm that ice cream looks delicious.

23. LiLu says:

Big fat congrats on the PR!!!! 🙂

Awesome job on the new PR! And I’m a little jealous about your 10am start time! My race on Saturday started at 7:30am, which is so tough to get up for! And yummmmmmy ice cream…looks delicious!

25. BC is soo beautiful. I always enjoy your photos. Psst.. Why did you not try out the wine?? hahah

26. Amber, I Love the photos! And, nice work on the PR! Running on sand and grass is tough…definitely slows you down. But you stayed pretty consistent the entire way. I love leaving it all out on the course so I too sprint the last 1/4 mile or so.

27. liane says:

I may have just squealed out loud when I read `Tickleberry’s”… I think Tickleberry’s and Silver Sage just might make up for the lack of civilization…

Congrats on the PR!

28. chad says:

Hey there I was at this race as well! Congrats!
    I live in Oliver, and blog about my runnning and life as well! Here is the link:

Come on by and visit whenever, so glad you could make it!

29. Nikki says:

YAY! PR!!! I’m so happy for you! 🙂
    (Yes I’m totally catching up on old posts today)

30. Hezabelle says:

Oooh, I want some of that ice cream!