Paris je t’aime

Hi lovelies! How are you? We arrive in Paris today!!

In honour of that, I’ve asked Lisa from Lisas Yarns (one of my favourite bloggers and close friends) to do a guest post on the time she studied abroad and spent three weeks in Paris! Enjoy! Looking at these photos before leaving on my trip made me SO excited!!!

*********************

If you read my blog, there is one thing that is fairly obvious.

I am head over heels in love with Paris.

In the summer of 2008, I was accepted into a 2 week MBA course hosted by the Universite de Lyon. I knew it was going to be a super intense program so I decided to fly in early and spend a week in Paris.

Best. Decision. Ever.

My friends and family often ask why I fell so hard for this magnificent city. After all, there are plenty of travelers who are ambivalent about the city or might even say they hate it! (gasp!)

So why did I fall in love? Partially, I think I fell in love because Paris came into my life at the right time. I had spent the spring prior to this trip nursing a pretty massive heart ache. The clouds were finally parting when I departed for this trip. My heart was slowly opening up; I was ready for love. And boy did I fall hard for Paris!

I can gush on and on about my time in Paris, but I think my love affair is best shown with pictures….

In Paris, I…

picture-1_lisa-pics

Gazed up the Champs-Elysees at the Arc de Triomphe

picture-2_lisa-pics

Saw the Eiffel Tower up close…

picture-3_lisas-pics

And from a far. Isn’t she a beauty all lit up?!?

picture-4_lisas-pics

Started each day with the perfect breakfast: pain au chocolat and fresh orange juice (thank God I didn’t know I couldn’t have gluten back then!!)

picture-5_lisas-pics

And ended each day with a delicious nutella and banana crepe (again, so glad I wasn’t gluten free back then!)

picture-6_lisas-pics

Wandered aimlessly along the Seine, falling in love with the many bridges.

picture-7_lisas-pics

Rested my tired feet in the Place des Vosges

picture-8_lisas-pics

Admired the beautiful stain glass windows of La Sainte-Chapelle

picture-9_lisas-pics

And returned to that very same church for a classical music concert.

Le sigh.

Now do you understand why I love Paris? We’ve been apart for nearly 2 years – I am definitely ready for a rendezvous.

Have you been to Paris? If so, did you fall for the city like I did? Why or why not? If you have not been to Paris, is it a city you would like to visit?

Ohhhh I love these pictures! You make me want to go there right now! Paris is definitely on my list of places to visit, but I have a few others in mind as well. I wish I could take a trip like Amber and go see everything all at once! 🙂

2. Thanks for letting me write about the love of my life. Lol. 🙂 I forgot to mention that being hit on by the French men was also helpful in restoring my broken heart. 😉

3. mandy says:

I have never been and have never had a really strong desire to go. I studied French for 3 years in high school and 4 semesters in college so I had a really good grasp on the language. Perhaps some day I will get there. Your pictures are gorgeous and if I do make the trip, the chuch with the stained glass will definitely be near the top of my list.

4. mandy says:

I have never been and have never had a really strong desire to go. I studied French for 3 years in high school and 4 semesters in college so I had a really good grasp on the language. Perhaps some day I will get there. Your pictures are gorgeous and if I do make the trip, the church with the stained glass will definitely be near the top of my list.

5. nicole says:

GORGEOUS – I really want to go!

6. Emily Jane says:

Ohhh this reminds me of when I went to Paris in 2007. We were in the UK visiting my nan and happened to be there over my birthday, so, it being like an hour away, my dad took me on a whirlwind day trip to Paris. It’s SO beautiful… I wish we’d been able to stay to see the tower at night!!

Haha, don’t you love foreign men? so different.
    Did I ever ask you why you studied abroad in Australia over Paris? Not that I think you made the wrong choice obviously haha, just wondering.
    I went to Paris for 2 days on my Europe trip. I liked it more than I expected to, people were much nicer than everyone says- I think having a big American boyfriend with me helped haha. But I definitely wouldn’t say I fell in love with the city…it was just okay for me haha, but I’d like to go back at some point maybe during a less crowded time.

• I didn’t take any French in college, so going to France wasn’t an option… Plus, I knew I’d be able to visit Europe pretty easily, but fitting a trip to Australia in would be pretty darn difficult since it’s so far away.

I had no idea I was going to like France so much! Had I known that, I would have taken French in college and tried to study abroad there. Now it will be really hard for me to learn the language, but I was able to pick up quite a bit from the language cds I listened to when preparing to leave for that trip.

• MissAmber says:

Hi from Paris! Just got back to our hotel after walking to the Eiffel Tower from the Notre Dame Cathedral – MUCH farther then we thought it would be!!! We are enjoying ourselves but the people are not as friendly as in Amsterdam!

Thanks for guest blogging, Lisa!!!! XO

• shoshanah says:

The people in Paris tend not to be very friendly. It’s almost like they have an attitude that because they are Parisian they are better than everyone else. But if you have a chance to get out more into the country, the people out there seem to be a lot nicer and friendly. And more willing to try to talk French with you. Of course there are exceptions, but that’s more of how it felt when I was there a few years ago.

8. H-woman says:

Must go. NOW! If only I could get the boy on an airplane….guess I’ll just have to leave him at home and go by myself!

=)

9. Ally says:

Oooh, the nutella and banana crepe looks divine.

I can only imagine myself loving Paris too. I am determined to get to Europe in the next few years, so then I’ll know for sure!

10. I wasn’t too big of a fan of Paris – something about all the dog poo on the sidewalk didn’t do it for me. However, Eastern Europe was such a wonderful suprise. I wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did. My favorite city? Krakow, Poland. Yup, you read that right. Go visit! 🙂

• I haven’t had a chance to see much of Eastern Europe. I went to Prague in 2004 and loved it, though, so want to explore more of that region! Sounds like I need to add Krakow to my list of cities to visit!

11. There were parts of Paris I didn’t love (some of the people and our hostel), but otherwise, yes, the city was pretty freaking amazing. And SO huuuuuge. Loved walking down the bike path toward the Arc de Triomphe!

12. nicole says:

paris is calling me….. “nicole, please come visit NOW” teehee!!! love the pictures- have fun guys!!!

13. Amanda says:

I lived in Paris for 6 months in 2008. Absolute best decision I’ve ever made in my entire life. And now I really NEED a Nutella crepe. 🙂

14. I’ve never been to Paris but I definitely want to visit it one day! Some people tell me that it’s not a great city and that it’s dirty but I shall ignore them until I can gain my OWN experiences and opinions.

• Everyone told me the city is super dirty & that the people are rude, but I did not find that to be the case at all… it’s not any more dirty than your typical big city.

I hope some day you get to visit! I just thought it was such a lovely, wonderful city. 🙂

15. Sarah says:

I’ve never really understood why you love Paris so much, but this post explains it all! I’ve never been there (actually, that’s not true – I went when I was 6months old, but that hardly counts) and am kinda ambivalent about going, but I really would love to go see the Eiffel Tower up close and test out my French!

16. Lindsay says:

One of my favorite memories is sitting in the Place des Voges eating falafel with my best friend. Your pictures made me tear up a little, but in a good way 🙂 I miss Paris!

• Did your falafel come from L’as du Falafel? It’s so close to Place des Vosges so I am thinking there is a good chance that you got it from there! 🙂 Place Des Vosges was one of my favorite areas of Paris. So charming and Parisian. Ahh, my heart melts a bit when thinking of my time in Paris.

17. I fell in love with Paris the first time I visited it just like you did! I was a goth teenager at the time, and was there with my parents, so I had all the reasons to be a brat and complain about a forced family fun trip, but Paris struck me and grasped my unprepared heart, leaving no room for rebellion and teenaage angst. I’ve been there once since, just a year after that, and I hope I’ll get to go back at some point, I’m really starting to miss Paris a lot, since I haven’t set my feet there for 6 years…

Nutella and banana crepes are the bestest food in the world! <3

18. very cool. i’ve never been to europe, but that really brings the appeal to life.

19. Carol says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Paris!!!!! I was there in ’01 (oh so long ago…le sigh) and loved the ambience, the buildings, the river, the people, the art, the walking, the Metro, the wine, the food…the list goes on and on. I took some of my best pictures, in good old-fashioned black & white film, that I hang proudly in my hallway.
    There was nothing better in this world than a nutella, banana and coconut crepe from a street vendor. Best way to start or end your day.
    All right…must start saving money now! I’ll go with you, H-woman, if the boy will not!

20. I would absolutely LOVE to go to Paris one day!!! The hubby and I are hoping to go for our 10 year wedding anniversary (4 years from now).

21. phampants says:

Oh the Sainte Chapelle! Did you know that there is a replica of it in Chicago? It’s called the St. James Chapel and it’s part of the Quigley Center (formerly Quigley Seminary).

22. Amber says:

I can’t wait to visit Paris someday and hope you have a great time!!!! 🙂

I really have never felt a strong tug to visit Paris, although it’s definitely a city I would love to visit someday. These pictures are wonderful and now it makes me want to visit Paris SOON!

24. Anais says:

Mmmmm crepes and nutella are my fave!!!