Hi from Amsterdam!

Just popping in briefly to say hi! It’s 4:00 PM here in Amsterdam and we’re taking a little rest at the hotel after a very long day before heading out for more sightseeing and dinner!

We’re having such a great time! After a very long plane ride we arrived in Amsterdam yesterday at 11:00 AM (local time) and did some exploring. We went to a sex museum (I have some HILARIOUS pictures for you guys. Read: posing by a giant penis) and explored the Red Light District.

The sex museum was so fun/funny/interesting and the Red Light District was definitely something to see and it’s just like they say: There are windows EVERYWHERE – and especially along the side alleys – with women of all ages, races and sizes posing seductively in bikini’s or underwear. It’s hard not to stare. I keep assuming they are just mannequins, until they move! It’s actually a little sad/depressing (IMO).

Today we went on a two-hour bike tour which was the most exhilirating/terrifying/crazy thing I’ve ever done in my life. The drivers here are CRAZY. Crosswalks? Nah. More like look both ways and run for your life. I wanted to rent bikes and explore on our own but I’m SO GLAD we decided to pay the extra money for a tour. It was a fabulous way to explore the city with someone else looking both ways for us 😛 I did almost get hit once or twice, though. I’m not joking!

Then later this afternoon we headed out to the Heineken Experience and learned about how Heineken beer is brewed. Neither I or Eric are big drinkers and I HATE BEER but we both had about 1/2 a beer (which is a lot for me). I have a hilarious photo sequence of me drinking the beer that goes from me smiling with my cup to a puke-y face. The guy did tell me that if you swish beer around in your mouth first before swallowing it will taste better so I did that, and it does taste better but still gross.

Tonight we are going to the Anne Frank House and then maybe doing a nighttime tour of the Red Light District, we were there during the day yesterday so I can only imagine what it would be like at night!

Amsterdam is full of amazing OLD buildings and architecture. It’s the best-preserved 17th century city in Europe, apparently! It’s an extremely interesting city and the people are very friendly. We are really enjoying ourselves! Tomorrow morning we are off to Paris bright and early and on Friday we go to Venice.

I have so many great photos to share with you guys but this silly hotel computer won’t let me! So that’s all for now. Hope you’re all well. XO

Oh, and yes, we did go – and fully experience – an Amsterdam Coffee Shop. When in Amsterdam, right?! 😉

1. Jen says:

All I can say is that I have a green-with-jealousy face right now. I think I’m adding Amsterdam Coffeeshop to my bucket list because that is just fun.

2. Amber says:

Ahhhhh, this sounds so awesome!!! I can’t wait to travel Europe someday! Have a FABULOUS time!!!

3. Meghan says:

Ohmigosh, that sounds like so much fun! I can’t wait to see the pics when you get back. And glad you’ve done so much so far and had the Full Experience 😉

4. erin says:

ooh i’m so excited for you! the pictures must be awesome!!

and yes, when in amsterdam, do!

Wow sounds so cool. I can’t believe all you have done already! I’ve never been to Amsterdam but it’s on the list (of course the list is FOREVER long). I’m glad you are taking the afternoon rest in the hotel- that is key!

6. Oh I’m just jealous!

Have fun! And go on with your bad self! I’ve heard the stories of the Red Light District… lol. 😉

7. Oooh, I am SO JEALOUS. And also glad you’re really experiencing it all 🙂 That’s the point of those trips, right? Enjoy every minute.

8. H-woman says:

Glad you arrived safe and sound! Have fun!

H =)

9. Danielle says:

Yay for an update! Your being so productive but I can’t say that it really surprises me. Haha. Have fun in Paris tomorrow and try not to fall inlove with a french man. Kiddingggg… Just fall inlove with Eric all over again.

10. Bec says:

Sounds like you are having a blast 🙂 Enjoy the city its so beautiful!

Hi hi hi! We miss you and are jealous of the fabulous time you’re having! Can’t wait to see pictures!!!

I also hate beer! All the swishing in the world wouldn’t make it taste better to me!

And I agree with everything Danielle says! 😉

13. Thanks for checking in. Have been wondering how you two are doing. I can’t wait to see pictures. I would make the same face while drinking beer. I despise it. It is disgusting. ish.

Can’t wait for your time in Paris – I really hope you love it as much as I did. 🙂

14. Tammy says:

Hi Amber!!

Thanks for the Blog today!! I am so super excited to hear more and see your pictures!

Glad you made it there safe and you are experiencing everything!!
    Travel safe tomorrow!!

xo

Sounds like you and Eric are having an amazing time already!

Can’t wait to see some pictures 🙂

16. Emily Jane says:

My heart SWOONS for the old buildings and architecture. Can’t wait to see pictures of it all! And penises!

17. Carissa says:

sounds like an exciting trip already! glad you and Eric are having a wonderful time! and like everyone else, I can’t wait to see your pictures!

18. Oooh, sounds like you two are having so much fun. We didnt’ go to Amsterdam, but I can imagine. The red light district does sound kind of scary/sad. Enjoy Paris. And I’m glad you guys took a bike tour. I knew you’d love it!

19. I have SO posed by that giant penis!! I have also partaken in the Heineken Expereince sans Heineken. We were unable to get into see AF’s house though – so sad!! I hope you make it!

20. Sarah says:

Wow! Sounds like you’re having a great time over there – can’t wait to see the pics. And I didn’t know that Amsterdam is the best-preserved 17thC city in Europe. I learn something new every day!

21. Jen says:

WHHHHOOOOO.. Love that your having a great time!! cant wait to see all the pics, I am So jealous of you guys!!!
    Love you and be safe!!
    XOXOXOX
    ps….does fully experiencing amsterdam coffee shops mean what I think it does??
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

22. mandy says:

YES! When in Amsterdam you are practically required to fully partake in Amsterdam tradtions, espeically for purposes of blog reporting. =) Cant wait to hear the stories and see the pictures.

23. Amsterdamize says:

Glad you enjoyed yourself in my fine city, Amber. One thing of note: Amsterdam dates back to 1275 and was granted city rights in 1300. What your tour guide probably meant was that the canal area (first real expansion (through deliberate city planning) of the city during the Golden Age), its construction started in 1613.

Just so you’re up to date 😉

Cheers,
    Marc

24. Sounds like so much fun!

It sounds like you’re having a great time! Someday I’ll get over there and do a European tour. It’s good to know that the people there in Amsterdam are friendly. That always helps make the trip better. And I think it’s hilarious that you experienced the coffee shop. I can’t wait to see pictures when you get back! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

26. Ooooh I can’t wait to see the pics!!!

I would love to go to Amsterdam!!! Sounds like you are having a blast so far!!!

27. shoshanah says:

It’s so exciting to hear from you while you’re in Amsterdam! Glad to hear you’re having a great time

28. Jessica says:

Sounds like you’re having fun! Glad you guys made it there safe.

29. nicole says:

sounds like you guys are having tons of fun!!!! i cant wait to see the sex museum pictures!!! hahaha

30. That sounds so exciting! I would love to visit Amsterdam one day and I can’t wait to see the Sex Museum pictures. xD

31. Kyla Roma says:

Sounds amazing! Keep having a wonderful time! =D

32. glad you’re having fun! i want to see amsterdam one day. Cannot wait to see the sex museum pics!

33. Caz says:

yay I’m so glad you made it and are having a blast! Live up every single second of it!

xoxo

34. Samantha says:

Sounds like you’re having so much fun!! Enjoy yourself to the fullest, and I can’t wait to see all the photos and hear all of the stories when you return home!

35. Sounds like you crazy kids are having a blast! Yay! I can’t wait to see pictures! I love that you did the Amsterdam coffee shop thing. Hee! Yeah the red light district sounds super depressing and strange :[ Hope you guys had a great time in Paris!

36. Jessica says:

So jealous! I wanted to go to Amsterdam so badly!

37. Michael says:

Nice post!
    By the way, if you have any intentions of visiting Red Light District, you should check out The Amsterdam Red Light Guide