Olympic Torch Relay

Wow, the feedback on yesterday’s post was awesome! I had no idea you guys would find that stuff so interesting. I will definitely be doing more posts about Canada’s geography/history/politics in the future, so watch for those.

Staying on the Canada note, guess what Canada is doing in like two weeks? If you don’t know, you live under a rock.

Well Canada, and more specifically Vancouver, BC, is hosting the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. So, for the past couple of months the Olympic torch has been traveling through all of Canada. Interesting fact; it went up into a corner of Nunavut and it was the furthest north the Olympic torch has ever been. Ever.

Last night the torch came through Kamloops and I went with some friends. It was cold outside but a really fun and exciting experience!

Here are some photos (oh and some of them are really crappy and blurry. Night photography is not my forte.

Me with Quatchi!

DSC_0936

Coca-cola Truck, they were giving away free coke. Very cool!

DSC_0950

DSC_0953

Me with the torch! Yay!!

DSC_0963

There were tons of people there!

DSC_0980

DSC_0989

Here comes the Olympic Torch! We waited for over an hour, in the freezing cold, to secure this great spot.

DSC_0995

DSC_0996

DSC_0997

After we saw the torch go by we got out of there. We were SO COLD. Once I got home I relaxed with my Olympic Coca-cola, some mushroom soup and cheese bread.

DSC_0999

DSC_1001

Go, Canada, go!

DSC_0955

To be honest, I haven’t been overly psyched about the Olympics. But this kind of put some Olympic spirit in me and even though my fingers felt like they were going to freeze off I’m SO glad that I went. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Olympic Torch go through my town like that and it was a very cool feeling.

Are you excited for the Olympics or pay attention to that kind of thing? Why or why not? What’s your favourite Olympic sport?

I’m most excited about the HOCKEY! Figure skating is also fun to watch.

1. That is SO cool!! I love that red scarf that you are wearing. I have never seen the torch up close like that! Very cool!

I am excited for the Olympics. I kind of prefer the summer Olympics, but I still love the winter games. I will pretty much watch anything but my fave sport is def Figure Skating. Down hill skiing, too.

Can’t wait for Feb 12th!

That is so cool! I wonder how you get picked to do that sort of thing.

I dont have a favorite winter sport. I dont really watch the Olympics (shame). Figure skating is pretty cool though.

3. J says:

YES I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE OLYMPICS!! I am clearing my DVR so I can record as much as possible! I think I am even going to use my parents DVR too! lol I am obsessed! I can’t wait till the olympics come to a place near me so I can go!

4. I am excited because the Olympics are in Canada, but I don’t really watch them much. That is a cool Coke bottle!!!!! I saw the torch being passed in Regina accidentally!! I was at work on a Saturday, and was driving home and ended up being front row in my car for the passing of the torch that was done at an intersection!

That’s AWESOME! I love the Olympics so I’m totally jealous of you right now!

6. mandy says:

How much fun is that? I’m so glad that you went to see the torch and had a great time. I don’t watch much tv, but during the Olympics I watch non-stop. Figure skating, bobsledding, skiing, curling (and I still dont even know what that exactly is but it won’t stop me from staying up until the wee hours of the morning trying to figure it out). I love watching interviews with the athletes, the opening and closing ceremonies. Its bad….

7. Jess says:

So so cool that you got your picture taken with the torch!

8. erin says:

how cool is that?!

i get more psyched for summer olympics than winter olympics. i like summer sports better. =)

9. kristen says:

My favourite Olympic sport is all of them. Seriously. I don’t know what it is, but I’m Olympic obsessed. I don’t even like curling and I’ve been known to watch olympic curling for a couple of hours…

I think it will be weird to see CTV Olympic coverage for the first time since the 80’s though- I don’t think they’ve had them since ’88 and it will be interesting to see what they do with them.

10. Jessica says:

That is SO cool. The winter Olympics are always less exciting to me than the summer ones (hello swimming and gymnastics!) but I’m still excited.

That is SO cool! I have been randomly interested and not interested in different Olympics over the years. However, the last summer olympics I was really into so now I’m excited about the Winter Olympics this time 🙂 My favorite things to watch in the winter olympics are definitely figure skating, skiing and hockey. I also like the speed skating sometimes 🙂

12. Morgan says:

That is friggin awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics! I would be so stoked!

I love me some Hockey and figure skating too!

13. that is cool. seeing the torch in person is something not everyone gets to do. even during the atlanta games in 1996 (2.5 hours away from me) we still never saw the torch. that must have been really fun.

14. Carol says:

In ’88, (yes, I am THAT old) I endured -35C temps to watch the torch arrive in Calgary. In fact, I stood at about the same spot where my office building stands now, but back then it was just a field. You couldn’t get close to the torch, through the throngs of people, but it was still a moment in my life that I am glad to have experienced. And the Olympics are FUN! Granted, as a Calgarian, we tend to turn any thing in an excuse to party, but still. It was two weeks of hugging strangers, going to fundraisers for Jamaican Bobsled teams (no, that was NOT just a Disney movie!), watching Russian team players eating huge steaks at Smugglers, and acting like that was the most food they’d seen in their lives, ever. I collected the pins, I went to ski-jumping, I did my best to make new friends…it really was magical and the legacy left behind phenomenal. Enjoy, Vancouver…this year is yours to enjoy!

I LOVE the Olympics and how cool is it that you got to see the torch go by! Wow, amazing.

I’m more into the Summer Olympics but the Winter Olympics are fun to watch, too. I’m a big fan of figure skating, snowboarding, and skiing. Fun, fun. Can’t wait to watch it!

16. Jen says:

I LOVE the winter Olympics for Hockey and Figure Skating! those are my faves!! And then yes, next comes Skiing and Snowboarding – I love them WAY more than the Summer Olympics (where I only watch Swimming and Gymnastics)

I was SO excited when the torch came through Fort McMurray – I never thought it would happen here! We are so small (comparatively – more so out of the way) and I absolutely loved it!! I actually cried…yup, I am a sap! But a patriotic sap!!

And the Mascots!! I LOVE Quatchi! I bought my husband a stuffed Quatchi for Christmas because he loves him too!

Looks like you had fun! The torch went through my dad’s hometown while we were visiting him, but unfortunately we were busy that day. It would have been cool to see!

18. Tiff says:

Wow, what a cool day you had 🙂

I went when the olympics were in SLC, UT and even got to help with an event for the CANADIAN team. Hmmm…I just barely remembered that it was for the canadian team 🙂

19. Tony says:

Where I work, we deal with customers in Canada (Montreal I think)…and talking with one gentleman he was extremely excited and proud to have the Olympics in Canada. I’m not big on Winter Olympics mostly because I can count the number of times I’ve seen snow on one hand…but I’m sure it will be a blast for anyone lucky enough to participate.

What a neat occasion! I definitely would have stood outside for that too. Love that you got free Coke, the flags, the mittens everyone was wearing and just the overall excitement/sense of community in this post.

I do love me some winter olympics… mostly figure skating and any sort of sledding/racing/skiing.

Thanks for sharing! I’m a little bit jealous you got to see the torch! 🙂

21. Lindsay says:

So cool! It’s horrible, but I forgot the Olympics were coming up. I’m a figure skating junkie, can’t wait to watch this year.

22. Rachael says:

I never watch the Olympics, but I would have gone to see the torch!
    Also, those coke bottles are super cool! I haven’t seen ones like that in the US before.

The torch relay went right by my work when it was in Edmonton but I had a doctor’s appointment so I missed it. Blah. I didn’t know you could actually touch the torch though, that’s cool 🙂 I like the summer Olympics better (horse stuff!!) but I like the skiing/snowboarding/figure skating in the winter Olympics, and I’m sure my husband will be glued to the TV for hockey …

24. samdotcom says:

Cannot freaking wait. I know the city is going to be a gongshow and commuting is going to be a nightmare but IT IS THE OLYMPICS. Here, in Vancouver. I love all the sports, and I have tickets to a few hockey games.

Feb 12: Watch the Opening Ceremony. Trust me on this.

25. Ooh fun. I saw the olympic torch a few years back come through Eugene (since we’re considered tracktown, USA). Very cool experience.

I heart the olympics like none other. In fact, one of my lifetime goals is to work for the olympics in some capacity…on their media/marketing/pr team or something. AH, a girl can dream. I entered the microsoft blogger for the olympics contest this yr but clearly didn’t win. I would also love to go to the olympics someday.

26. Ali says:

I loved when the torch passed through town, it was a great moment. I can’t believe it is already in BC! Looking forward to the winter olympics

You know, I wasn’t super pumped for the Olympics until I saw (from a distance) the torch go by. It was really neat! And then hearing people talk about how awesome the in-town ceremonies were kinda made me more proud to be Canadian!

I’m looking forward to hockey of course! And I secretly love figure skating. I may have to hole myself up in my room and watch them.

28. Mandy says:

I was so disappointed that I couldn’t see the torch come through my city.

I love watching snowboarding. And I’ll probably try to catch some hockey and figure skating at the very least.

29. mart and lu says:

wow is it still that cold in kamloops. thats insane i guess it making its way to vancouver nicely! maybe i’ll catch the torch here in vancouver!

30. Jenna says:

Hey!
    I just came across your blog and I can’t wait to read it and follow!
    I would love it if you could check out mine and follow:)
    Jenna

31. Nikki says:

That’s so cool! I caught a little Olympic fever when Chicago was in the running last year but I’ve never had an opportunity like that! I’ll probably watch some of the Games but I’m really more a fan of the summer sports! I do like watching skiing and snowboarding though.

32. shoshanah says:

That is really neat that you got to see the Olympic torch. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Its something I’d like to do someday, but even more I’d like to be able to attend the actual events at the Olympics.

33. eemusings says:

Not into sports at all, but how exciting that it’s all happening on your turf! I feel like the Olympics are getting to be less of a big deal for me every time. I remember it was a big deal back in high school, even staying up all night on the phone to a friend watching Olympic events.

34. Kyla Roma says:

You with the torch- that is SO cool! Glad you’re making sure it gets to Vancouver safely!

35. michele the great says:

the czech, finland and japanese olympic ski teams are all staying at the hotel i work at, so thats pretty cool. i didnt get to go see when the torch went through vernon but ive seen about 10 million pictures from everyone that did go, so i pretty much feel like i was there.

ps: how could it have been finger freezin cold? its been like +5 here woman!!

This is so cool that you got to do that! I LOVE the Olympics and I have to agree that I am most excited for the hockey : ) But really I just like the entire concept/atmosphere/everything!

37. E.P. says:

That looks like it was absolutely amazing! Even if it was really cold, I’m super excited you got to do that and about the Olympics.

I’m more of a summer Olympics kind of girl, but I’ve always enjoyed snowboarding at the winter Olympics. That and hockey. (Which is totally weird, but awesome, for a Southern girl.) What’s your favorite Olympic sport?

38. nicole says:

That is SO cool!!! 🙂 You’ll have to keep that coke bottle so you can have a story someday!

39. liane says:

I have to admit it seemed so far away back in the day that they announced the Olympics were awarded to Vancouver!
    I work across the harbour from the BC parliament buildings and got to go over and watch the first day of the torch relay, when they brought the flame over from Greece. It was very cool. Of course, they had a slight problem lighting the cauldron, which was amusing 😉
    Then for the next two days the torch was run all around the Southern Island and I saw it 3 more times and got stuck in traffic more times than I can count!
    I’ll be watching the hockey and figure skating.

40. Carissa says:

how fun to see the Olympic torch!! definitely worth standing out in the cold for a bit! I think I am partial to the summer Olympics but I do watch some of the winter Olympics. I have even been watching some of the qualifying rounds– saw figure skating the other day (probably my favorite winter sport!) and today saw skiing!

41. Lys says:

oh man, it looks freezing!! what a cool experience though, to get to see the torch for the olympics! i don’t have a tv, so i’ll be catching what i can online, but hockey is definitely awesome.

42. Anais says:

Awesome!!! My sister and dad have very similar pics of the torch relay in ottawa 😉 I’m excited for the Olympics but I always forget to watch it :S