Raven Run 10K Race Report

To say my first 10K was eventful would be an understatement.

It started with me sleeping in and not leaving town until 8:00 am. Race start was at 9:00 am and Salmon Arm was 115 km away. Then it involved me racing through windy roads, averaging 130km/hour while Eric gripped the door handle and yelled at me for passing on a solid line. Eric went a little picture-happy this time around since he missed taking many pictures of my first half, so this will be a picture-filled post!

driving

After all that, I was still seven minutes late for the race start. But, I’d drove all that way, so I was going to race.

I got my number and headed off, to say I felt discouraged being the lone runner was an understatement. I hadn’t had a chance to fuel properly so all I’d had was a measly granola bar, I didn’t get to go pee first so I was full of water. Then my iPod died six minutes into the run. Ugh. Here I am, starting the race, alone.

starting-the-run

I took off, not a single runner in site since they’d all started seven minutes early, the first kilometre was all downhill and I hit the first km marker at 4:30. Pretty fast. It was all uphill from there and the next kilometre took me eight minutes. It was then a good 1.5 km climb before it came downhill again; and low and behold I saw another runner! I thought for sure I was going to come in last place so I was really giddy when I passed this runner! I figured that first 1.5 km climb was the “big hill” that they were talking about in the race description. It wasn’t. Kilometres 3-5 were all straight up hill.

That was the last BIG hill, but the next 4 kilometres was all rolling hills. I managed to pass a few more people in that time and then the last kilometre was downhill so I just opened up and sprinted as fast as I could. I stopped once around the 7th kilometre to try and stretch my knee out, it was really tight from all the uphill/downhill and no warm-up. Other than that I ran the whole way. Here I am finishing strong, that guy in the orange shirt was telling me to eat the grass for lunch; so I did!

finishing-strong

My original goal was to finish in under an hour. But after seeing how hilly the course was I re-evaluated and decided I wanted to finish in under an hour and 5 minutes. I ended up finishing in 1 hour and 52 seconds (by my stopwatch) and I’m super happy with that. Unfortunately, my official time is 1:07:33. Oh well, that’ll teach me for sleeping in.

I averaged 9:48 miles during this 10K, which is quick for me. Then I did a “recovery” 4 miles on Monday afternoon and averaged a 10:00 pace, that used to be a FAST run for me, not a recovery! The speed workouts are paying off!

On the way back we stopped at some fresh produce stands and bought some awesome, locally-grown B.C. produce. So I’m going to pull a “food blogger” today and throw some pics in here. Of course, by now, it’s almost all gone!

bc-produce

blueberries

cherries

One of my favourite things about living down here is all the delicious, fresh, local produce you can get! YUM. You can’t beat B.C. cherries!

A few other notes:

– My hair cut is growing on me, literally and figuratively. Thanks for all your kind words yesterday!

– I went to see Julie & Julia yesterday, it was fantastic. I would definitely recommend it!

– My shins are starting to hurt again while running, only it’s a different kind of pain than shin splints; more bearable. But it’s a constant “pressure” that lasts through my whole run. Does this mean I need new shoes? I’ve put approximately 450 miles on the ones I’ve got right now.

1. Jessica says:

CONGRATS! I’m so proud of you!

2. Kathleen says:

What a great report! Sorry about the sleeping in!
    I do think new shoes are in order.

3. Great recap, sorry about sleeping in though. πŸ˜€
    The produce are lovely. So is that spice rack!
    Glad to hear that you’re starting to feel better about the hair cut.

4. Luinae says:

I think new shoes would be a good idea. And woah that run sounds stressful- but you sound really amazing and I think you did awesome!

5. Shop Girl* says:

Congratulations!!! Running a 10km race is one of my goals (10 miles just seems too long. haha)

And I think they recommend getting new shoes every 500 mi or so? So you’re probably due for a new pair. πŸ™‚

Wow! Congratulations! So many people would have just said “oh I overslept I won’t get there in time.” That produce looks amazing – I love farmer’s markets!

7. Megan says:

Great job on the run!

Mmm, those blueberries look delicious.

8. erin says:

congrats on completing the race even if you overslept!

probably new shoes… but i’m not one to talk cuz i hate buying new sneakers, it takes me forever to break them in… and once i find something i like, i stick with them.

9. Em says:

Those blueberries look really good! Congratulations on the run!

10. Well done, you! Alot of people who sleep in would have just said – eh, I am not going to do the run.

That’s great that you are getting faster! I am hoping that happens for me. I am stuck in the 10:05-10:30 pace right now. I’d like to be around 9:30-10. I did start speed workouts this week, so hopefully I start seeing some benefits!

That fresh produce looks amazing!

11. Katrina says:

Good job with the race!! WAHOOO!! πŸ™‚

We stopped in Salmon Arm too for fruit….I love going for BC fruit and veggies!!

12. Morgan says:

Congrats on the race!!! YAY!!! You did great, especially with all those hills! Way to stick with it even if you were late!

GIRL YOU NEED TO GET NEW SHOES ASAP!!! Running shoes should be replaced ever 300+ miles and you’ve been running trails so you have extra wear and tear. Get over to a run shop STAT! I mean it. I expect a post soon revealing your new kicks!!!!

13. H-woman says:

What a crappy way to start your run….but a FAN-Freaking-TASTIC way to finish!

I’m so proud of you!!

H =)

14. LG says:

Congrats on your race, even though your morning sounds pretty hectic! I have a 10k in September…I totally need to do some speedwork…

It DOES sound like new shoes are in order…I think they are supposed to be changed out at least every 800km, even though I change mine every 14-16 months and I run about 12 miles/week. But I can sure feel when I need new ones!

15. Sassy says:

450…definitely reaching your max on those shoes! Spring for some new ones that will be more supportive. I just got new shoes and can’t wait to use them!

Also, great job on the 10k. I’m totally with you on the idea that “hey, i’m here, i signed up, i’m gonna run this thing.” Plus, it sounds like an interesting course. Good work Amber!

16. the old standby is “anytime you get a new pain, get some new shoes”. yep, get some new shoes. 450 miles is a nice long life.

good time on such a hilly 10k! when the mental part of your game is off so bad by oversleeping, it’s nearly impossible to come back and pull off a decent time. but you did! nice job.

Wow! That would have made me crazy. Congrats on finishing it anyway! (also, love your hair! I always kind of hate my new haircuts when I get them but they grow on me. Why do I cut it? I don’t know!)

18. Mom says:

1. Not too happy about the passing on a solid line. That’s just Dumb!!

2. Congrats on the race.

3. Were you hungry when you food shopped? You bought Cases of vegetables??

4. Again, very unhappy about the passing on a solid line.

5. Get new shoes, it’s not worth damaging yourself for a few hundred bucks.

19. MissAmber says:

@Mom – It was a passing lane on the other side and there was LOTS of room to see; it was finnee! Geesh.

20. Heather C says:

Nice race!!!! Congrats! and LOVE the food spread for afterward. yummm! πŸ™‚ haha

21. Carissa says:

haha, your mom’s comment is funny. that is SO what my mom would say, too!

anyhoo, congrats on what sounds like a great race considering you were a bit late! you did awesome! and I love that pic of you finishing strong and the guy cheering you on. you sure were hungry though, judging by that “foodie” picture. but all the produce looks great! especially the blueberries.

speaking of food, so jealous that you saw Julie & Julia! I still haven’t seen it! (I haven’t been to the movies in awhile)

and the end of your post amazes me and shames me at the same time: 450 miles!?!?! that’s craziness!! as for needing new shoes, I’m not an expert, but I’d say after 450 miles you have earned some new shoes, even if you don’t need them πŸ™‚

wow, I am impressed- when I have anything to wake up for in the morning, I can’t sleep at all-maybe your extra sleep helped you be speedy!!! awesome job πŸ™‚

23. Lo says:

That’s awesome! Congrats on the run! The cherries look amazing too. Glad to hear you are liking your hair!