Torwood Lodge and a SNAKE

First, I almost got bit a snake when I was running last night. I was about 25 yards from the end of my 4-mile run and I saw this black thing lying on the path. Well I didn’t think much of it until I got right up to it and saw that it was a snake.

I should add in here that I am 100 per cent, absolutely petrified of snakes. Terrified. Have nightmares about them. When I moved to Kamloops one of my biggest worries was that I would have a run-in with a rattlesnake (this snake wasn’t a rattlesnake–I don’t think..)

Anyways, once I realized it was a snake I jumped up over it and it hissed and bared it’s little teeth at me. I SCREAMED, loudly and took off sprinting. It scared the living shit out of me, I almost had a heart attack. My heart was seriously pounding SO hard. It was a terrifying experience. Eric was waiting for me in the car and we walked back but the snake was gone. I’m shuddering just thinking about it.

OK, onto Torwood Lodge; I mentioned to you guy’s that I had won two free night’s accomadation at Torwood Lodge, a beautiful–for lack of better words–“wilderness” resort about two hours from my hometown.

Oh. My. God. I had the two most relaxing days of my entire life. Here’s some pics.

northern-classic-070

The lodge itself.

northern-classic-067

Our private little patio area.

northern-classic-071

View from our patio!

northern-classic-073

Back of the lodge!

northern-classic-072

Me after my 80-minute relaxation massage the first night we were there. Best massage I’ve ever had! I’ve never really liked massages because I’ve only got deep-tissue before but this was a relaxation one and I actually fell asleep during it and felt SO amazing afterwards that I cancelled my body wrap the next night and got another massage instead! SOOOO nice, 80-minutes FLEW by!

northern-classic-080

View from the dining room out into the common area. Oh, and I forgot to mention we were the ONLY guest there for the two nights we were there! The lodge can fit 16 people but clearly Sunday and Monday night isn’t a popular night to go because we got the whole place to ourselves! It was great, the staff were SOOO nice and accommodating and we got to decide what we wanted to eat and when!

northern-classic-085

Rock beach that we hiked down too.

northern-classic-090

Me on the rock beach with the beautiful lake in the background. The lodge overlooks Williston lake, which was created by the WAC Bennett Dam. It’s the biggeset man-made lake in British Columbia.

northern-classic-091

Me and my mom during our hike!

northern-classic-102

This is Pharoah, he was the lodge dog. He was hilarious, he would come sauntering over to our table while we were eating dinner and since we were used to Murphy (my mom’s golden lab) we were fine with it, but as soon as he heard his owner coming down the stairs he booked it under the table to hide from her! Then he did tricks for a banana. His owner “shot” him and he layed on the floor pretending he was dead. It was hilarious.

northern-classic-099

And onto the food–I just wish I’d remembered to take more photo’s because it was SO SO good. Since we were the only one’s there we had a few options to choose from each night, this was our main course the second night. Dinner was FOUR courses. Soup, appy, meal and dessert. The chef, Todd, was a super nice guy and he assured me and my mom that all of his food was zero calories. Right…!

northern-classic-103

Dessert on the second night. Chocolate cake made with blueberries. Amazing. Then the next morning after we ate our omelettes Todd came out and was like “do you ladies ever have chocolate cake for breakfast?” and he brought us a HUGE slice of chocolate cake to have after breakfast the next morning. It was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I definitely gained about 10 pounds in the two days we were there!

northern-classic-114

Sitting in the hot tub, sipping wine and looking at that view was the most relaxing part of the whole thing I think. It was SO quiet and peaceful out there.

northern-classic-116

One of the coolest parts was the horses! They just wandered around loose! Here they are when they came right up to our patio, so pretty, I LOVE horses. I should have went trail riding but I definitely will the next time I go because I want to take Eric back there!

All in all it was a fabulous, relaxing couple of days. There was no cell service so I wasn’t constantly checking my blackberry and it was just so beautiful, all I had to do was look out at the view and I felt relaxed! I’ve never had a really relaxing vacation like that, most vacations that I have gone on have been the busy kind where you are doing things all the time etc. Those kinds of vacay’s are good too but I think we all need a few days of doing nothing and getting pampered every once in awhile!

What do you prefer, vacations where you’re busy-busy or one’s where you can relax? What’s the most relaxing vacation you’ve ever had?

1. I’ll take relaxing vacations. for me that means no code writing, minimal kid responsibilities and the ability to get in a run and bike ride whenever i want. no schedules, just being able to control my own time. when i’m hungry, it’s time to eat. when i’m tired, it’s bedtime. and nothing else has to matter. that’s relaxing to me.

2. erin says:

same here! i’m terrified of snakes. I can’t even look at pictures of them!

That mini vacation you took sounds soo heavenly!

3. Amber says:

I would have screamed too if I had seen that snake! I HATE snakes! Just gives me the chills thinking about it!
    That vacation sounds amazing!!!! On my vacations I like a little of both being busy-busy and a-lotta-relaxing. A couple years ago my mom and I went on a cruise and that was perfect. We had lots of options for activities but we didn’t have to if we didn’t want to. So, usually for part (most) of the day we we would lay around in the sun and do a couple of activities during the day — like parasailing or snorkeling. Loved it!
    I have never had a massage, but after reading about yours I kinda want one…

4. OMG. The snake thing might have killed me on the spot. I am also terrified of snakes!!! Yikes!

That lodge looks awesome!! What a great mother/daughter get-away!

My vacations never seem to be relaxing – I usually come back more exhausted than when I left! but that’s because all of my vacations so far have been outside of the country, so when I fly that far, I feel like I need to do as much as possible! But I do hope to go on a super relaxing vacation one of these days. I just don’t think it will happen until I have a +1 to travel with! we’ll see, though!

By the way, I have been watching the Bachelorette & they filmed in Vancouver. I need to come visit that city. Stat. And then maybe go to Lake Louise? You live in such a beautiful part of the world!!

5. Heather C says:

What a fun vacation!!! These pictures are gorgeous, looks like you had a great time with some tastyyyy food and good company 🙂

seriously – a snake?!! I would’ve lost it. Big props for even continuing to run (over it?! ha, ahhh).

I’m incredibly jealous of your fabulous vacation! Looks amazing. Sometimes a quick recharge is all a girl needs =)

Snakes? I hate snakes… I would have screamed, peed my pants, and definitely wouldn’t have walked back to look at it. You are much more brave than I am.

My relaxing vacation: A beach. Books. Music. I’m a happy camper.

7. Lacey Bean says:

All of those pictures look SO RELAXING. 🙂

Also – I once found a small snake in my bedroom! Granted it was tiny, but my fiance didnt believe me at first! Then he came in and saw it, and totally believed me after that haha. We let it free outside. Have no idea how it got in though!

8. Jen says:

Wow. These pictures are great. It looks like you ladies had such a nice time!! You both totally deserve it!!
    Snake??!!! AHHHHHHHH… Poor you, I can just picture you screaming!!At my cousins on Sat, the cat brought a snake into the house & I FLIPPED out… Screamed, jumped onto the table, and waited there untill she came out of the shower (25 mins)
    I prefer vacations that are relaxing. The most relaxing one I have been on was Mexico!!! Laying ocean side, listing to the waves crashing & drinking Corona’s!!!! Tofino was also a great relaxing “canadian” vacation!!
    XOXO

9. Sassy says:

I love those kinds of weekends full of relaxation. Just what the DR. ordered. The pics are great. And a massage…two days in a row! Yes please!!

10. Kathleen says:

So sorry about the snake!

Your lodge looked like so much fun.

11. Laura says:

After reading this post, I am sooo ready for the weekend : ) Nothing better than good food, a gorgeous lake, horses, and a great massage (I finally found a good massage guy!). Your snake incident is too funny…yesterday a rat ran in front of me and I screamed bloody murder in the parking garage. A nice woman (who didn’t see what happened) came up to be sure I was ok…reassuring but embarassing! Thanks for being such a loyal blogger and have a great weekend.

12. Carissa says:

well, first off, I am pretty terrified of snakes too and if I had come up on one while running I think I would have had the same reaction as you: scream and run!! so scary. I did walk up on a snake once and freaked out, but I didn’t run then because I was so shocked to see a snake and I didn’t want to freak it out so it would turn on me! anyway, glad you didn’t get bitten!

second, love all these photos! thanks for sharing them! that rock beach looks amazing and I want a piece of that chocolate cake! and the horses… oh, how I love horses.

I’m so jealous you got a massage. I’ve never had one but I am thinking I need one the way my back tenses up at night now (I am turning into an old woman!). the picture of you after your massage is great. you look very relaxed indeed, and happy 🙂 and that photo of you and your mom is too cute. it’s so nice that you could have a girls getaway.

I’m trying to think of my most relaxing vacation… seems like every time I have gone away lately, there is some kind of drama. probably going to maui last fall was the most relaxing vacay I have had recently. so beautiful and there is yummy food there too!

13. banana says:

Hi Amber!

I got here from Glamour. Your trip sounds so amazing. I can’t even choose what the best part is: great food, relaxing massage, hot tub, or the perfect view! This had me daydreaming of a laidback vacation.

P. S. I just started blogging (but have been reading blogs since forever) and I’m liking it. 😀 Yours is positive and fun. I’m digging the dots on the sides.

14. Chere says:

What an *amazing* little retreat! I’m so completely into the relaxation vacation. I CANNOT handle rushing around. At all. I’d much rather rent an apartment and settle down in a place for a few days than race around trying to cram in a ton of stuff into not enough time.

And I am 100% with you – I am terrified of snakes! It’s the one thing that just completely makes me want to pass out in fear.

15. LiLu says:

Relax, DEFINITELY. My favorite week of my life was when B and I went to Costa Rica and didn’t leave the beach for 6 days… sigh.

16. shoshanah says:

That place looks so pretty and awfully relaxing!

I think growing up most of our vacations were pretty busy with sight-seeing and doing things. But overall, I would say I prefer lazy vacations better. The type of place I can spend all day reading and not feel guilty about it

17. Lys says:

i know i’m really late in commenting on this, but i’m a new reader and i wanted to start back here so i could get to know you better.

i’m extremely jealous of the 80 minute massage (x2! lucky girl!) and the horses coming right up to your patio! that is so cool! looks like you had an awesome time 🙂

18. Aw, this sounds like the best trip ever! I’ve always wanted to get a massage. Sounds like it was super relaxing! The hot tub looks lovely too! What a beautiful hotel/surrounding area! Yummm that food looks DELISH! That’s SO fun you and your mom are so close and had a mom/daughter trip! Love all the pictures!

19. […] part of the run started. Sure enough, 3 feet from the friggin rattlesnake sign I SEE A SNAKE! (this is not the first time I’ve had to jump over a snake!) It was of course gone by the time I collected myself enough to take a photo but I did a little […]